Petrik's Reviews > The Iron Jackal

The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding

bookshelves: owned-ebooks

4.5/5 stars

The Iron Jackal greatly built upon the foundations that have been well-established in the first half of the series.

Despite having enjoyed the first half of the quartet, I was getting a bit scared that the fun and enjoyment of the series would start to dwindle in the third and penultimate installment of the series. I’m so glad to be proven wrong, The Iron Jackal ended up being the most fun book in the series so far. Unlike the storytelling structure in the previous two books, The Iron Jackal progressed a bit differently and it’s something I immensely appreciate. Where the first two books were about getting a mission to gain wealth, this book was more of a race against time to save Frey’s own life. It was more intense, more action-packed without neglecting the crucial and great characterizations, and I highly enjoyed reading the book. Don’t get me wrong, as far as predictability, the story was still highly predictable despite the higher stake; no argument from me there. However, everything was just so well-written and well-executed that I just want to continue reading regardless of knowing the outcome.

I can’t emphasize this highly enough, the characters of the Ketty Jay crew are a riot that never stops wreaking havoc. This team of ragtag were hilarious, dysfunctional, and destructive to everything in their path. However, more importantly, their characteristics never stop developing and somehow, gets more empathizing with each book progression. By this point of the series, I feel like the crew of Ketty Jay has truly become my real life friends and reading their adventures put a smile upon my face. Wooding didn’t spare any of the crew in Ketty Jay from getting the justifiable treatment for character development. Their history and their personalities were once again more developed than before and I absolutely love seeing the dynamic relationships between the crewmate of the Ketty Jay. Not only their characterizations were so good, but their dialogues were also witty, hilarious, and damn fun to read; even more than before. I genuinely laughed and smiled during several ridiculous occasions portrayed in the book.

There were also more information and history revelations implemented into the world-building here. The actions/prose were addictive to read and in this installment, I get the feeling that Wooding’s prose is getting closer to the quality that he showed in his newest book, The Ember Blade. Reading this series to me felt like watching a fun action blockbuster movies like let’s say, Mission Impossible. You’ll probably know the outcome of each movie but you just can’t help but be immersed into seeing how it all unfolds. The minor cons of the book to me were that some of the actions—excluding the intense death race—did get a bit repetitive and I didn’t really enjoy reading Frey and Trinica’s push and pull romance. Remember, romance almost never works for me so this situation most likely won’t be a problem for any of you who don’t mind a bit of romance in their read.

I only have one more book in the series to read now. I’m equally happy and sad that I’m going to leave these awesome characters really soon. Looking at how good the series so far, seems like the last book of the series will end up being the best installment of them all and I simply can’t wait to continue.

You can order the book HERE!

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Jackal.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Hayes Great review. So glad you're enjoying the whole series, dood.

Petrik Rob wrote: "Great review. So glad you're enjoying the whole series, dood."

Thanks, Rob! It's so damn fun and unputdownable. I'm starting the last book now! :D

message 3: by Birte (new)

Birte Great review! This sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Petrik Birte wrote: "Great review! This sounds like a lot of fun. :)"

Thanks, Birte! It's a really good and fun series! :D

Silvana There's actually another cute romance thingy on the side. Totally my OTP 😘😅

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Oct 21, 2018 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana And you are right, the characters here were so well written it felt like we're already buddies! Unfortunately in The Ember Blade, I just couldn't connect with the group there... I need more quirks, I guess

Petrik Silvana wrote: "And you are right, the characters here were so well written it felt like we're already buddies! Unfortunately in The Ember Blade, I just couldn't connect with the group there... I need more quirks,..."

Ah it's such a shame that the characters in The Ember Blade didn't connect well with you! I thought both series have well-written characters that's very easy to connect with despite the differences in personality. It's true that Ketty Jay crew are much more quirky.

(I love the romance between (view spoiler) btw) xD

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea Would you say the humour in this series is similar to Kings of the Wyld or Traitor's Blade? It sounds fun but I'm weird when it comes to humour and wasn't a fan of said two books. Overall I've become a bit wary of funny fantasy books, so I thought I'd better ask 😅

Petrik Bea wrote: "Would you say the humour in this series is similar to Kings of the Wyld or Traitor's Blade? It sounds fun but I'm weird when it comes to humour and wasn't a fan of said two books. Overall I've beco..."

Humor rarely works in novels, I dont know why too. Anyway this series does have similarities to Greatcoats in terms of characters and their solidarities. Plotwise and everything else are different though. The humor i guess were a bit similar so if you didnt like KotW and Traitor, I think you'll be safe to skip this series, Bea! XD

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea Petrik wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would you say the humour in this series is similar to Kings of the Wyld or Traitor's Blade? It sounds fun but I'm weird when it comes to humour and wasn't a fan of said two books. Overa..."

I'm seeing your comment just now, thanks for the answer! :)
Yeah, maybe I'll skip this series.