Carol's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

bookshelves: fiction, kindle, published-2018, netgalley, dark, read-2018, southern-lit

DARK, VERY DARK.

"A man's mind is his own kind of hell."

A tragic accident and a bad decision lead to violence, despair and revenge with deadly consequences in the Appalachia as an unbalanced Big BAD Giant of a man with a history seeks justice for the only one he has ever loved in the world.

In THE LINE THAT HELD US, there's really not a whole lot to the storyline nor are there many characters, but, oh my, the intensity of the writing does put the fear of what's to come in your bones and pulls the reader right into the tough life with visually deep descriptive prose.

There are a few bits of animal cruelty, but what really makes this DARK read VERY DARK happens to be an (ICK!) morbid fascination......and then there is the ending....that I'm still processing.

Many thanks to PENGUIN GROUP Putnam via NetGalley for the arc AVAILABLE TODAY in exchange for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

July 18, 2018 – Shelved
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: dark
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: southern-lit
August 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Meredith Glad you enjoyed, Carol! It took me a bit to recover once I finished. Love your review!

Carol Meredith wrote: "Glad you enjoyed, Carol! It took me a bit to recover once I finished. Love your review!"

Lol Meredith! Dare I read THE RATS next???

Hayley Stenger I'm reading it right now. I'm 60 pgs in and so nervous.

message 4: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Can't wait!

message 5: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Now I know I don't need to read this. Thanks for the heads up on the animal cruelty.

message 6: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review, Carol!

Angela M Morbid is the word that best describes parts of this book . Great review, Carol.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen nice review, Carol. Got it out from the library and this one is a priority!

Susanne Strong Intensity is right Carol! Brilliant review!

Zoeytron Dang, I missed this when it came through. You nailed it, Carol.

Melissa Great review, Carol!