Lacy's Reviews > Star-Crossed

Star-Crossed by Pintip Dunn

Holy shit... that was a ride.

And for a moment, I waver. What is right? What is wrong? My mind sees the truth, as clearly as the water cascading down Bubble Falls, but my heart, my heart, my heart. My heart is a comet shooting through the deepest, darkest space, burning so hot it will scorch itself out of existence.

Star-Crossed is a mix of scifi and dystopian. People now live on a planet called Dion but because of certain circumstances there isn't enough food to feed everyone. The colony is divided into Aegis (food eaters) and Colonists who receive their nutrition through pills that the Aegis tranfer their nutrition into after eating. It's a whole genetic modification process.
The story follows Vela, an Aegis, who happens to be the King's daughter. The romance was cute and the ending made me cry even though it was beautifully bitter sweet and fitting.

One of my favorite things is how Star-Crossed stays on theme by using foodish descriptions.

I drop my eyes. You could sauté an onion on my cheeks.

The laughter bubbles inside me like carbonated soda, as if it was always there, waiting for the tab to be pulled.

A few Aegis lay out spreads to rival all picnics. Mountains of sandwiches, craters of chips, oceans of lemonade.

The word washes over me, chopping my joints, puréeing my muscles.

The lines in his face are deep and unfixable, like a chocolate cake that’s been baked in a too-hot oven.

Maybe my emotions were just filling up, like the maple syrup that drips from a spigot.

I've been following Star-Crossed since it was originally titled Fit to Die. The title change and the cover are perfect. I can't wait until the official release date so I can hold my own hardback copy.

Thank you so incredibly much to Entangled Publishing for approving my arc on Netgalley after reaching out to them to express my love for Pintip Dunn and the desire to read and review Star-Crossed. 💖💖💖 All quotes are subject to change.

Star-Crossed releases October 2, 2018.

In the mean time please check out Pintip Dunn's already released novels.

Girl on the Verge

Forget Tomorrow

Remember Yesterday

Seize Today

The Darkest Lie

UPCOMING IN 2019

Malice

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star-Crossed.

July 18, 2018 – Started Reading