LenaRibka's Reviews > Badge of Loyalty

Badge of Loyalty by Jude Tresswell

2,5 stars rounded up

While I REALLY enjoyed the writing, I have some SERIOUS problems with the story and the demeanour of some characters - to put it mildly, I was very much PISSED OFF , so that I HONESTLY was at least 2 times VERY closed to DNF it. Let me tell, there are four BIG issues for me in this novel I just CAN'T ignore.

1. Mike Angells. Angel Baby. Cock of the walk. I honestly doubt that such polyamorous relationship that the author describes could work for a life time, most likely the chance it could even exist at all is basically zero, but no harm in dreaming, right? We talk here about 4 partners.

There are easier tasks than making a polyamorous lifestyle work. It works for us because we work at it. [Phil]

Sorry, Phill, it doesn't work. And Angel Baby demonstrated it. So why not just to name it an open relationship? What all these efforts in a performance of different POVs for? Why not just to show Mike and his long-term partner Ross living together and picture Mike as a slut and Ross as a loyal sweetheart who understands the needs of his over-testosteroned lover? (Considering the fact that Mike is an everyone lover in this relationship, but not every one in this relationship has a sexual intercourse with the rest of the family.) But it is not SOLELY infidelity. The worst is HIM as ONE OF THE BEST DETECTIVES being unprofessional. In MANY aspects in regard of THIS case.

2.Ross. I found him very likeable. Before his very dark secret-bomb exploded. WTF. No, I didn't buy his cheap unconvincing explanation about his NOT KNOWING about the age of his lover in the past. The brother of the lover was his roommate, FGS. Why he didn't care about what happened in front of him, I don't know. I needed a better explanation.

3.Raith. I dislike/don't accept his prison's phase. One doesn't form his sexuality in prison.

4.Flaxby. This beating action...a NO-Go-THERE-Area.

I REALLY would like to read a NORMAL mystery novel by the author WITHOUT her performance of a polygamous relationship. Her writing style has the potential to become a bestseller.

***ARC provided kindly by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Badge of Loyalty.

July 18, 2018 – Shelved
July 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 19, 2018 – Started Reading
July 19, 2018 –
July 19, 2018 –
61.0% "It is well written, but there are TOO many things I am not comfortable with. And they have nothing to do with polygamy."
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-crime-suspence
July 20, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 4, 2018 – Shelved as: sofias-books
March 29, 2019 – Shelved as: lambda-literary-award-finalists

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sofia Curious to see your notes.

LenaRibka I have some reviews to write! I wasn't excited to write a review on my smart phone on the beach :)

Sofia Definitely not a time to right reviews. I got a few to get to as well, if I get to them that is :D

LenaRibka But now, Sofia, I have even less time not only for writing reviews, but also for reading! I have a very busy time at work :(

Sofia Poor girl. Ah by the way, I saw you reading Sapiens and it sounded interesting. I'm listening to it in English during my trips to work. It will be a long time to finish because my trips are half an hour at most. But I'm liking it.

LenaRibka I am listening to it too, but in German. It is very educational, though not everything in this book I agree with. I am around 80% and it is mostly about a market economy, a lot of interesting facts, but not my favourite part in the book.