Hayley's Reviews > The Gunslinger

Dec 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, epic, fantasy, own, series, stephen-king
Read from June 20 to December 06, 2012 — I own a copy

I love Stephen King. He's a fantastic story-teller, and normally his writing draws me in and refuses to let me go until I finished the book - and even then, they usually leave you thinking, wondering "what if..."

But not this one. I'm not really sure why. I didn't like Roland, the gunslinger, the 'man in black', or any people in Tull. In fact, the only character I liked was Jake, (view spoiler) I didn't enjoy the flashbacks (expect for the 'coming of age' one), and I especially didn't enjoy the drawn-out story in Tull. I only finished the book because it was short, and I was hoping it would get better. Wish, admittedly, it did - but by the smallest of margins.

I also didn't enjoy the writing, which is the strangest bit of it all, because as I said, I normally adore King's work. But this felt overly wordy, like it was trying too hard to be deep and mystical and epic, and it wasn't working for me.

But I love Stephen King. I love fantasy, and apparently this is a fantastic series. So I might just give the second one a go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

08/06/2012 page 71
30.0% "I read this first bit a while ago now, and I just didn't grab me the way most Stephen King does. But I'm gonna keep it on my currently reading list as I'm sure I'll pick it up again soon..."
12/03/2012 page 123
51.0% ""The boy, the sacrifice, his face innocent and very young in the light of their tiny fire, had fallen asleep over his beans. The gunslinger covered him with the horse blanket and then curled up to sleep himself...""
12/04/2012 page 158
66.0% ""The gunslinger began to climb, and after a moment, Jake came after. Together they mounted the tumbled rock beside the steely-cold falls, and stood where the man in black had stodd before them. And together they entered in where he had disappeared. The darkness swallowed them...""
12/05/2012 page 191
80.0% ""The gunslinger's mind turned reflectively inward. It was in that hail-splattered silence, just before sleep overtook him, that he first thought that he might also be the last...""