Malia's Reviews > Final Girls

Final Girls by Riley Sager

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-suspense

Throughout this book, I strongly felt Gillian Flynn's influence on the author, which may or may not be accurate. Though I have read all of Flynn's books, I am not her greatest fan, which tells you a little about why this book was not a huge hit for me. The characters are all unsympathetic and while I didn't mind the narrator being unreliable, I also didn't care much about her. The story started off quite interesting, but lost steam about a third of the way in, until it picked up again the final fifty pages. The writing is solid and the mood tense, but I can definitely think of better books than this one more deserving of the attention it has received. In the end of the day, I didn't hate this book, it just wasn't really for me. I've been hearing good things about The Last Time I Lied, Sager's newest book, but so far I can't quite decide whether I want to read it. If you have, let me know whether you liked it and if you think it's better than Final Girls.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Girls.

July 17, 2018 – Started Reading
July 17, 2018 – Shelved
July 21, 2018 –
page 120
35.09% "Not very gripped by the story so far. It feels a bit like an attempt to imitate Gillian Flynn. I'll probably stick with it, though."
July 24, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense
July 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Malia! I appreciate your perspective on this one!

Malia Jaline wrote: "Great review, Malia! I appreciate your perspective on this one!"

Thank you, Jaline!

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this book wasn’t for you, Malia :( Fantastic review!! xox

Malia KAS wrote: "Sorry this book wasn’t for you, Malia :( Fantastic review!! xox"

Thank you, Kas!

JanB I have the same dilemma. I didn't care for Final Girls but this one is tempting me.

Malia JanB wrote: "I have the same dilemma. I didn't care for Final Girls but this one is tempting me."

I think I might give The Last Time I Lied a try. People have been saying it's better than Final Girls, but I was definitely not very taken with this one.