Kate's Reviews > Relentless

Relentless by Karen  Lynch

bookshelves: 2018, age-ya, paranormal

Sara has known about the paranormal world ever since vampires killed her father. She's had the ability to heal for nearly as long, and she uses it to help other paranormals (she can't heal humans, unfortunately) and barters for various supplies. Until she's attacked trying to get more information about who killed her father, she doesn't think her powers are unusual. Now she finds that she's a Mohiri (a half demon warrior) and her best friends are werewolves and she has a Mohiri protector sent to keep an eye on her. The attacks keep coming, and Sara begins to fear for all of her paranormal friends and for her very human uncle.

It took me a little while to get into this story, mostly because of time issues - the chapters are fairly long. But once I did, the story was indeed relentless, and I finished about 75% of the book in the past week. I loved learning about all the different paranormal creatures, because there were a lot more of them than in most paranormal books about werewolves and vampires, and lots of different varieties as well: trolls, imps, demons, and more. There was always some surprise!

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was how Sara had zero friends who were girls, and every guy seemed to find her super attractive. That bit was explained at the end (which had a bit of an info dump) but for most of the book I was thinking how this basically failed the Bechdel Test. Luckily, Sara didn't seem like she was drawn toward any of the guys more than others, so at least there was that. I did have a bit of wish that she and Roland (her werewolf friend) would end up together, but they had a good friendship. She'll probably end up with Nikolas, her Mohiri protector.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relentless.

July 17, 2018 – Started Reading