Carrie's Reviews > Give the Dark My Love

Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis

bookshelves: firsttoread, publisher-arc

Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis is the first book in the new young adult fantasy series by the same title. The content of this series is on the darker side with dealing with things like a plague and necromancy but I’d also warn of animal harm (rats) for those that would be bothered.

Nedra Brysstain is from the poorer area of Lunar Island in the northern territory but all of her life she’s wanted nothing other than to study medical alchemy. When signs of a new disease starts hitting the north Nedra becomes even more determined to help and when an anonymous benefactor supplies a scholarship to the prestigious Yugen Academy Nedra promises her family she will return.

When Nedra arrives she doesn’t quite fit in at the academy but Greggori “Grey” Astor does become her only friend. Grey had been the top of the class before Nedra came along and before long the two are working closely together under their master studying to find a cure for the plague that has also begun to overcome the city.

Give the Dark My Love was one of those books that once I sat down and begun to read I just didn’t want to put it down. As I mentioned there is a bit of animal harm in the way alchemy is portrayed in this story and I wasn’t a huge fan of it although I understood the concept the author came up with but that really is the only reason I’m rating at 4.5 stars instead of 5. The rest of the story was rather intense and then the end… oh my, pretzel twisting time so yes, this is one I’d recommend checking out and will look forward to seeing what happens next.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via Penguin’s First to Read.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give the Dark My Love.

July 17, 2018 – Shelved