Diane S ☔'s Reviews > Sold on a Monday

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

liked it

3.5 A picture speaks a thousand words, and it is a picture that will start Ellis on a journey of self discovery and moral questioning. Set against the Great Depression, this novel brings home the many things people had to do to survive. It is the children and a new picture that will bring Ellis his first success as a journalist, and that will bring Lily and Ellis together in a far reaching quest.

It is the realistic atmosphere created, of a busy newsroom, of single mom trying to earn a living during a time when unmarried women were not easily accepted, and of course the desperation of the times, that was my favorite part of this novel. Lily and Ellis are flawed characters, as these are usually the most interesting, and though I liked them, I wasn't really drawn into their stories. Just didn't feel the emotional connection that I usually feel with this authors books.

The authors note with accompanying picture and story, did make an impression on me, especially since two of the children looked so much like mine when they were younger. So, I liked this book, the subject definitely deserves telling, but I didnt feel the connection that would make this one I loved.

This was a sisters read and I think we all actually ended up in the same coulee, which doesn't happen often. Thanks ladies for the great discussion.

ARC from Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sold on a Monday.

February 16, 2018 – Shelved (ARC Paperback Edition)
February 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (ARC Paperback Edition)
July 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved
July 16, 2018 –
page 180
July 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Angela M Wonderful review, Diane !

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Fab review Diane. Sorry you didn't fee as connected to it but I agree that the subject is definitely an emotional one.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Wonderful review Diane!

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Great review Diane!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Diane :)

Diane S ☔ Thank you much, Angela, Bern, Karen, Kaceey and Jen.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Metcalf Lovely review Diane.

Diane S ☔ Thank you, Sharon.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa It's always tough to truly enjoy a book when you don't feel that emotional connection--at least for me. Great review, Diane.

DeAnn Great review Diane, I'm reading this one soon!

message 11: by JanB (new)

JanB This sounds so good, sorry it lacked the connection to the characters. Nicely reviewed Diane!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Diane!

DeAnn Diane, this one was good! I also enjoyed the author's notes at the end but I was hoping to be deeply connected emotionally.