Heather's Reviews > One Wedding, Two Brides

One Wedding, Two Brides by Heidi Betts

U 50x66

This books has on page sex but only mild cussing (no f-bombs). While the sex isn't over-done and doesn't overshadow anything in this one, if open door sex will cause you to leave a bad review, you should skip this one.

The plot of this book is absurd and ridiculous, but instead of trying to pretend that it's totally normal and taking itself too seriously, this book luxuriates in it's absurdness in the best way possible. (That's a compliment, I swear.) The characters fully acknowledge how off-kilter their circumstances are, but they're determined to make the best of a bad situation. Ms. Betts handles this plot with incredible humor and excellent writing, making the first three quarters of this book one of the best fake relationship books that I have read recently. The humor kind of goes off the rails a bit in the last quarter of the book, trading laugh out loud moments for “look at how edgy and hipster Monica is” moments, but it wasn't enough to cost this book a star because the beginning was that strong and the happily ever after was done just right. (Also, gold star to Ms. Betts for the Little Texas references.)

The characters in this book were excellent - Ryder was gruff and growly and oh so sexy, while Monica was a total hot mess who, even while you'll cringe at her behavior at the beginning, you can't help but root for because, really, don't we all wish we could do the same thing if we were in her place?

I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't take life too seriously and enjoys a good laugh while reading, and also to anyone who enjoys seeing two fish out of water find love in the most unexpected of partners. I hope that Josie will find her happily ever after.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Wedding, Two Brides.

July 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved
July 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Thanks so much for this fabulous review of 1W2B, Heather! You had me laughing--in the very best ways, I swear. ;)

Heather Heidi wrote: "Thanks so much for this fabulous review of 1W2B, Heather! You had me laughing--in the very best ways, I swear. ;)"

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I was hoping you'd get past the "luxuriates" line and realize I meant that as a total compliment. :)

message 3: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Oh, yes. You're talking to someone who loves books/tv/movies that make me laugh--I don't care if it's My Cousin Vinny or Dumb & Dumber. And if laughter is the best medicine, I'm just here to give everyone a big does of Funny-cillin or Vitamin Hee-hee-hee. Plus, the 5-stars helped. ;)