Danika Dinsmore's Reviews > The Deification

The Deification by Jack Remick

A young poet's search for immortality and all the sad-beautiful-mad humans that are in and on, and at the end of, his path.

It may be a book for artists and writers and poets and musicians. It's not going to be the book for everyone. There's a lot of rawness here and a lot of bodily fluids. Sometimes I was in love and repelled at the same time - in a good way.

I loved how it floated in and out of the real and surreal and metaphor like changing socks. The rhythm and voice are completely authentic; I felt like a voyeur reading it, as if the writer himself were showing me his wounds. And most likely he was, because he's a poet.

It is an homage to the Beat poets, and recreates contemporary versions of Kerouac and friends. It's also part of a quartet of books. Of the second book, reviewer Jodi Lea Stewart said, It is as though I have stepped back in time to the days when writing was truly an art form and not a scientific venture into so much of a percentage of dialogue vs. action vs. narrative. No worries as to whether or not an agent or editor or some "god" of the publishing world will approve or not approve... raw, exquisite writing talent splashed onto the page with such audacity and nerve that it gives you a heartache that burns a hole right through your spirit.

I hope Jodi doesn't mind me borrowing her quote. I honestly could not have put it better myself. Heartache is the perfect word, and it feels like I have to recover from the first heartache before I can read the next one. It's definitely a book I want to have time for, take my time with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deification.

December 11, 2011 – Shelved