Emily S.'s Reviews > The Book Lover

The Book Lover by Maryann McFadden

19264781

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** 2.5/5

I really expected this book to be interesting since it was about books/booksellers (The Shop Around the Corner is better, I'm sure). I even thought it might be somewhat of a metafiction work (i.e. The Things They Carried, which I enjoyed), but it was just a panoply of chlichés (which is ironic because the protagonist kept trying to pitch her book--and this real-life book felt like more of the same). The author "broke the fourth wall" by calling out her cliches, but that was more annoying than anything and distracted the reader from the book. (After watching Anthony Erwin pull it off in his book Chasing Water, I have high expectations.) Furthermore, the tactic did NOT justify what she was trying to justify. Also, it seemed like she changed her mind a lot as far as where the book was headed. It was like the plot didn't have a clear direction; parts needed to be rewritten. I'm sure it was supposed to be construed as a "plot twist," but it was more like the plot derailed. The way the book was written, Lucy should have gotten back with David, her HUSBAND--not the paraplegic, no matter how pathetic/heroic he was written to be. Maybe divorce wouldn't be such a big deal / common "option" if stories like these didn't romanticize having affairs. It didn't work, I disliked reading it, and it took me forever to finish. Would not recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Lover.

July 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved
July 17, 2018 –
page 51
July 21, 2018 –
page 92
July 23, 2018 –
page 129
39.21% "So far I do not like this book. The sections do not work well together and instead of the abrupt endings acting as a cliffhanger, they are rather un-memorable. Whenever the story picks back up from a different POV, I am left struggling to remember what was going on in their life (and I always remember the books I’m reading well, so this is an unusual experience)."
page 129
39.21% "Furthermore, the characters, esp the secondary characters, are forgettable/confusing. I’m always like, who is Dee again? Ugh."
page 179