C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Kiss Quotient

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, read-2018, autism

Aww how cute is this?! I wanted to read this because of the #ownvoices autistic storyline, but hesitated for ages because...adult romance is not my thing lmao. But I was too curious not to try, so here I am and my opinion is seriously: AWW HOW CUTE IS THIS.

It almost reminded me of Lara Jean x Peter Kavinsky...with the fake dating. But grown up. And with a lot of sex. And he's an escort and she's an autistic and works in economics instead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So um nothing alike but the FAKE DATING. It's a freaking good trope.

It was really addictive to read. I powered through it in a few hours and it was sweet and soft and kind. Like woah give us a man like Michael who: sews, has lots of sisters that he takes care of, he loves and supports his mum like nothing else, he designs clothes, he respects women, he cooks, he's a martial arts dude. afdksal his Michael though. He's also biracial Vietnamese and there's so much family love and culture woven into the story!

And their romance was such a slow burn emotional build up. I don't even LIKE solely-romance books but I was just flipping pages, teeth gritted, whispering, "They better frikkin work out or else I love them too much."

And the autism rep nearly made me cry with how perfect it was. I think it's the little things that made it so real, so accurate, and so so up-lifting. And also at the end when Stella says a big loud NO to changing herself and just says: I am autistic and this is who I am and I'm not broken. And I'm just scREAM cheering in the background. As an autistic myself, late diagnosed too, I just totally fell in love with Stella. She's not a stereotype! She's kind and loving and sweet, and also super sensitive and fixated on routines and obsessions. If you want to read a book to really see what it's like being an autistic woman = CHOOSE THIS ONE.

This book has given me all mushy feels. Aww. It was two people genuinely falling in love while convinced the other didn't love them that was so good to read. And good autism rep!? And sweet characters who I both loved incredibly. THIS WAS SOFT™. (But like...a lot of sex lmao. I mainly read YA so this was a bit 0_0 for me, but still.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss Quotient.

July 16, 2018 – Shelved
July 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 7, 2018 – Started Reading
November 7, 2018 –
page 121
36.01% "FINE I CAVED. I wanted to read this because #ownvoices autistic story but had been avoiding it because...I am not...good with adult romances. 😂 Although so far it feels like the adult-version of Lara Jean x Peter Kavinsky!? Fake dating omg (they're both super adorable)."
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: adult
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
November 8, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: autism

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Chloe Hughes I have this on my TBR pile!

C.G. Drews I hope you get a chance to try it!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I was wondering what the autism rep was like. You’ve convinced me to give it a go 😊

trufflebooks I'm so happy you enjoyed it! It does have a LOT of sex but we can just over look that lol

C.G. Drews @BookishAmy: When it's written by an autistic author, you have a pretty good indicator it's going to be good rep 🎉

@trufflebooks: haha yes 🙈