Emma Sea's Reviews > The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History

The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

bookshelves: sciencey-science, pn-library

splendid! delightful! holy hell, we are all fucked!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sixth Extinction.

July 15, 2018 – Started Reading
July 15, 2018 – Shelved
July 16, 2018 –
page 97
July 18, 2018 –
page 176
52.38% ""Under . . .a 'business as usual' emissions scenario, surface ocean pH will fall to . . . 7.8 by the century's end . . . 150 percent more acidic than they were at the start of the industrial revolution.""
July 19, 2018 –
page 215
63.99% ""the conservation status of less than one percent of all described invertebrates is known.""
July 19, 2018 –
page 259
77.08% "this book has been such a pleasure I feel sadness it is coming to an end"
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: sciencey-science
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: pn-library
July 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Emma,
Been a really long time. I've missed your direct & pithy reactions.
Cheers :)

Emma Sea Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Emma,
Been a really long time. I've missed your direct & pithy reactions.
Cheers :)"

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Emma Sea wrote: "...Hey :) I have had some life happening, so I haven't been reviewing or blogging in 2018. it's nice to be missed: thanks for saying so. How is everything going for you?"

Hopefully, your brief but eloquent review means that things have settled down for you. :)

Things were rough seas for a while but... *fingers crossed* In fact, I recently returned after about 3yr-hiatus (*still amazed*), so I hear ya re: life & such.

*raises wineglass* Here's to RL staying quiet so we can escape via books, yeah?

(no joke, I'm all settled in w/ current book :=)

Emma Sea Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Here's to RL staying quiet so we can escape via books, yeah?."

I think I'm realizing there will never be a truly quiet existence again. Life is fractal, yeah? Every time I think some event is a blip in 'normal' and things will go back to how they were before, another blip happens. I've started marking time by events now: the year it became apparent my grandmother had appalling dementia, the tearful year I put my grandma into care, the year I lost my job, the year the doctors found a tumor in my mom's brain, the year my mom had to quit work, the year I moved cities . . . giant upheaval is the melody, and the days with nothing much happening are fleeting interludes of spare rhythm we nod our heads to as we wait for the beat to drop.

*clinks wineglasses with you*

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Emma Sea wrote: "...giant upheaval is the melody, and the days with nothing much happening are fleeting interludes of spare rhythm we nod our heads to as we wait for the beat to drop. ..."

GD, that's poetic.

And I can empathise w/ most. Growing old isn't the most comfortable process, but I failed to extrapolate my view to fully encompass parents who are reaching their upper limits.

*bear hug*

Btw, I lost this thread so went to your profile in hopes of link. I then saw [erases & types anew] OK, it's been so long, have no clue if you are private or not so... Did I know that info? I don't think that I did. I don't recall that info being there in 2015?

You... *waggles finger* Whilst cleaning GR shelves, I saw that I was getting ready to read it around time when bottom fell IRL. Very late, but you & Lisa did a bang up job,

Chin up & feet spread, babe--that way, you may see life's occasional gut-punches & stay standing!

Emma Sea Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Emma Sea wrote: "I then saw [erases & types anew] OK, it's been so long, have no clue if you are private or not so... Did I know that info? I don't think that I did. I don't recall that info being there in 2015?"

message 7: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Jul 25, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Emma Sea wrote: "...If you mean writing as M. Caspian, then yeah, there was a thing way back at the end of 2015 and I kind of had to come out of the closet. (P.S> DO NOT read the story that review is for. It's terrible). So, no, it's not a secret now."

Oh, FFS. Shortly after I returned, heard barest bits re: that mess. I haven't had enough java yet to imagine how it & your writing got tangled, but I'm so sorry :(

ETA: From your 'Char' review: We’re allowed to disagree - vehemently, passionately, disagree - and still be friends, if we treat one another with respect. That’s the beauty of friendship.

GD, Em, I wish I had enough money to run this statement on air 24/7. For me, this is a corollary to the Golden Rule (one of the few remnants of my Catholic upbringing). If I can't trust my friends to be lovingly, subtly, bluntly, and even painfully honest w/ me, then who? I'm lost. (<-- says gal who think it *duty* to tell others when mascara smudged or lipstick smeared)

I know that *many* others don't feel this way. Gawd, some days, I want to jack Tom Hanks hard & shout 'there's no crying in an office! there's no crying when we're discussing your work!!'

message 8: by Emma Sea (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Sea Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "says gal who think it *duty* to tell others when mascara smudged or lipstick smeared"

thank you for being this person! Why do people not say this!? Also, you have spinach in your teeth, the tic-tac didn't take care of that tuna breath, and your skirt is caught up in the back of your pantyhose. I have needed all of these and it's mortifying when you realize.