Sarah's Reviews > As Meat Loves Salt

Dec 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in December, 2011

I think I overall didn't really enjoy this book all that much, mostly because I didn't have much interest in the framing plotlines. This book covers so much ground with a lot of historical detail, but I wasn't that interested in soldier stories and worse still, commune living planning. The strong point is seeing Jacob live with his violent temper, jealousy, and schizophrenia, how that affects his relationships, and how this eventually undoes him. Part of you is so disgusted by him, but as time passes, you wonder if people don't deserve second chances. Only to feel completely exasperated by his choices thereafter. Completely heartbreaking ending.

Slightly spoiler-y, but I just LOVE a love confession via letter, and the one here is *really* good. I didn't think in a m/m romance, I could so have my breath taken away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Meat Loves Salt.

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Is it wrong that I find the protagonist's name hilarious? Because it is a combo of Twilight's two main leading men?

Sarah LOL! Well, all I can say is after this book, the name Jacob might be ruined for me forever.

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Funny how real people and book characters can do that, eh?