Sharondblk's Reviews > Silver Bay

Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

16442076

it was ok

This book starts out ok. And then it goes downhill, very, very slowly. It's written in first person with a number of different voices - maybe six. It's hard to tell, since they all sound similar. It's also hard to tell because I didn't care about any of the characters. They were all very shallow, except Mike who (view spoiler) and Liza who is written as a (view spoiler) So many questions. Although now I think about it I don't really care about the answers.
I almost cared about the whales and dolphins, but not really. The basic message is anti development- lets have an old hotel with no amenities and no guests - rather than fighting for a sympathetic development. And at the resolution was (view spoiler)
The more I've thought about it, the more I realise how lazily written this was, and the lack of research was grating. Early on Mike is making conversation with Hannah, who is eleven they are talking about school dinners. We don't have those in Australia. Also, these English people keep showing up, and staying. presumably they arrived on holiday visas. That means they are working illegally and are visa over-stayers. This is not part of the book, and I wouldn't have even thought of it if this book hadn't been so dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Bay.

July 15, 2018 – Started Reading