Selena's Reviews > Satantango

Satantango by László Krasznahorkai

Dec 11, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, literary-fiction
Read from April 16 to May 08, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Satantango.

04/18/2012 page 55
20.0% "fifty five pages of text translates to 1.2 hours of movie."
04/24/2012 page 107
39.0% "V unraveling." 1 comment
05/05/2012 page 163
59.0% "the second part."
05/07/2012 page 200
73.0% "the speech was beautiful. the descent down will be painful." 1 comment

Selena i couldn't resist any longer. it helps that the bela tarr movie is making it to my house in a week or so. i'd love to have read the book first before sitting down with the film. have you seen it?

Declan The film of Satantango is one of the most amazing (and lengthy)I have ever seen. I've just ordered the book and am looking forward very much to reading it but I don't think it matters too much which you get to first because it is a story that defies easy understanding. In his other books Krasznaharkoi's sentences are long and knotty and the film matches this style by having very long takes which are utterly mesmerizing. I'll be very interested to read what you think about it.

Declan Have you managed to see The Turin Horse yet P.? It was supposed to get a release in Ireland and Britain in March, but there's still no sign of it.

message 4: by Selena (last edited Apr 16, 2012 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Selena turin horse is indeed the last.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert I am DYING to watch Turin Horse - it still hasn't shown up on our cinema screens! argh!

Declan I've just checked the UK release date and it's given as Friday 1st June 2012. So lets hope it will get to Ireland and the US at the same time.

Selena i couldn't stop reading, to be honest. after meeting esti, i become invested in the novel in a much deeper way. have you gotten to that part yet?

also! the interview on the millions is fantastic. it gives away a few story points, so save it for when you're done. but well worth reading.

Declan I hope my copy will arrive tomorrow or Friday (I waited for the edition published in Britain simply because I prefer the cover: http://www.biblioimages.com/atlantic/...). Have you watched the film yet Selena?

Selena i've watched disc 1 of the film, but no more. i didn't want to watch ahead of what i'd read. and then i got wrapped up in reading, too wrapped up for movies.

i'm planning on watching the rest of the film soon. as well as the other films based on krasznahorkai's novels.

as for the covers, i'm really partial to the ND cover. i enjoy extremely simple, visually striking covers. to each their own!

Declan The ND cover looks good too, but I love trees almost as much as anything in the world (“Not that I want to be a god or a hero. Just to change into a tree, grow for ages, not hurt anyone.”
― Czesław Miłosz) and am easily seduced by a good picture of a lonely path through a forest.

Chuck LoPresti Consider checking out Tarr's early work as well. Before he wen't "Tarkovsky" with the long shots etc - his style was less stark but still very...perhaps observant. His Outsiders is really amazing and it helped me to gain a deeper appreciation of his later camera-worship. Turin Horse plays in Chicago this week but I think I might just wait to watch in on my home projector next winter outside with a nice bottle of Hungarian red. I wish Tarr would change his mind and I wish someone would film Kornel Esti. There's a scene in Outsiders when one of the random drunks starts bellowing about Madach's Tradegy of Man that made me want to be a poor drunk Hungarian so bad I put paprika in my noodle soup for the next week.