C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Art of Escaping

The Art of Escaping by Erin  Callahan

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

This book was actually so so stressful. I've seen a few escapology acts on like talent shows on TV or whatever...but reading about it is JUST AS STRESSFUL. The finale had me all stiff and hunched over my kindle until I realised??? Like chill out, ok, it'll be fine. (Cue me: not chilling out.)

Anyway! So I definitely enjoyed this one a lot. Particularly with such a different topic that I'd never gotten to read in a YA book before?! It was fast-paced and exciting, and had a lot of heart too. I confess it did fall apart for me a little because of a few reasons though. Including: (a) Mattie is really mean but yet everyone wants to be her friend apparently (?!?) and (b) it uses the "whined" dialogue tag so. freaking. much and I hate whining, I hate whiners, I hate being TOLD a character is whining like every chapter, and (c) I do just wish we'd seen a bit more of the characters feelings?

(Also it had a few...things...I'm not really sure about concerning the lgbtqia element: like it refers to being gay as a "political decision" at one stage, and gives a throw-away comment about if you're friends with gay people it makes you a better person?! i don't even know where to start with that, whether it's saying it's a gay person's duty to educate you [no] or you get cookies for being friends with them [no]. There are mere lines, but I think they could've been handled better.)

But otherwise it was really fun!
Lots of teen angst mixed with death-defying acts. I like how both Mattie and Will were really scared of the idea that they could turn out being people who do nothing and mean nothing. And honestly their jazz-obsession and 20s slang drove me nuts, buuuut it grew on me a little. It touches on fears of college, being gay and closeted, and doing things that you enjoy and makes you feel alive. I REALLY like that.

Also it has:
☆ fabulous cranky mentor (but a woman and in her 30s which is AWESOME for the stereotype!)
☆ pretty much zero romance
☆ it's very much focused on friendship and the friendship group of Mattie, Will, Stella and Frankie at the end was AWESOME
☆ i did not learn how to pick a lock but I feel enthused that I would like to learn
☆ the characters do a lot of problematic things...but they own it and talk about it and there are consequences and I think that's a good example of books being messy and flawed but also dealing with it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Escaping.

July 15, 2018 – Started Reading
July 15, 2018 – Shelved
July 15, 2018 –
30.0% "me @ reading this so i know how to survive when my TBR finally collapses and buries me alive"
July 15, 2018 –
70.0% "They talk with a lot of 1920s slang even though it's a modern book, and I'm realising how stupid 1920s slang is. "Iron my shoelaces" is code for going to the bathroom?? What the fresh heck."
July 15, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary