Brenda's Reviews > Where the River Runs

Where the River Runs by Fleur McDonald

When Chelsea Taylor and her four-year-old daughter Aria arrived at the small South Australian town of Barker, it had been ten years since Chelsea had been home. She had left after her brother Dale’s unexpected death and not returned. Her parents had been shattered, shutting Chelsea out – she needed to get back to her music to find solace. A series of unfortunate events had prevented her from returning home but now she was back – concerned how her father Tom would react to her presence.

Aria immediately hit it off with her grandfather – Tom doted on his granddaughter and with Christmas looming, Chelsea hoped things would right themselves eventually. But it seemed everyone in the district had judged Chelsea – without knowing the facts. Would she settle back into Shandona, the place she had felt most at home at as a child – the place that felt like home now? Or would she be driven away?

When Cal, Shandona’s farmhand, called Detective Dave Burrows after a wild storm, the discovery made on the riverbed was shocking. Were there secrets in Chelsea’s family’s past? Or was it completely unrelated? And what was up with Tom?

Where the River Runs is another exceptional rural suspense novel by Aussie author Fleur McDonald. Moving, poignant and heartbreaking, the rural outlook of severe drought; of neighbours looking out for one another; of family, secrets, courage and survival – all blend together to create a true Australian novel which I devoured. It was great to catch up with Dave Burrows, Jack and Kim again as well! I thoroughly enjoy this author’s work, and highly recommend Where the River Runs to fans of the genre.

With thanks to Allen & Unwin for my ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the River Runs.

July 15, 2018 – Shelved
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: suspense
November 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I'm glad you liked it, I have some friends who didn't, I was nearly put off, but you and Theresa have confirmed I should still ask for it for Christmas

Theresa Smith Writes I loved this one too Brenda! Such a good read.

Theresa Smith Writes Claire wrote: "I'm glad you liked it, I have some friends who didn't, I was nearly put off, but you and Theresa have confirmed I should still ask for it for Christmas"

I'm sure you're going to enjoy this one Claire!

Brenda Thanks Claire and Theresa :) I love Fleur's work Claire - especially these with Detective Dave Burrows as a character.

message 5: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Very nice review, Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Angela :)