Matthew's Reviews > Don't Make Me Pull Over!

Don't Make Me Pull Over! by Richard Ratay

bookshelves: 2019, audio, biography, non-fiction, library, humor, favorites
Recommended for: American kids from the 70s and 80s

Road trips are my spirit animal!

I am not sure if this book is for everyone, but if you are anything like me, you will love it! If you love travel, travel history, and/or non-fiction about everyday life, this is the book for you. I ate the whole thing up and it made me very excited for my next road trip, which is in a couple of weeks. (YES!)

I can 99.9% guarantee you that if you grew up taking family road trips in the US in the 1970s or 80s, this book will be beautiful nostalgia for you. From waking up at 3am to pile into the station wagon to laying across the rear window ledge and waving at passing police to entertaining yourself and your family with hours of "I Spy" - it's all there! And, if you are young enough that all the family trips you remember have you belted in the whole time watching DVDs and playing on your smartphone/tablet, then you may get a kick out of reading about how family travel used to be.

It's hard to believe how much the road trip has changed in just the last 40 years. This book does an awesome job of documenting it from the start through the beginning of the portable technology/vehicle safety era. I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Make Me Pull Over!.

July 14, 2018 – Shelved
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: humor
May 15, 2019 –
12.0% "Lincoln Highway"
May 15, 2019 –
30.0% "Wisconsin to Florida"
May 16, 2019 –
53.0% "Road Dad! I can relate!"
May 16, 2019 –
69.0% "Holidome"
May 18, 2019 –
86.0% "Vehicle safety"
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
May 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena That’s a great first line.

message 2: by Dita (last edited May 19, 2019 02:10PM) (new)

Dita "Mom! She's on my side!" I don't know how our parents did it! Fun review of a fun time!

Matthew Lena wrote: "That’s a great first line."

😃 It was the first thing that popped into my head when I was thinking about my review - even before I was finished!

leslie hamod Sounds wonderful! Great review!

Matthew Dita wrote: ""Mom! She's on my side!" I don't know how our parents did it! Fun review of a fun time!"

Oh yeah! I remember just hanging out ALL OVER the back seat!

Matthew leslie hamod wrote: "Sounds wonderful! Great review!"

Thanks, Leslie! It's fantastic stuff - I really hope you check it out and enjoy!😃

message 7: by Licha (new)

Licha Sounds wonderful. National Lampoon's Vacation comes to mind.

...to laying across the rear window ledge and waving at passing police...

Wonder if you could get away with this now? :o)

Matthew Licha wrote: "Sounds wonderful. National Lampoon's Vacation comes to mind.

...to laying across the rear window ledge and waving at passing police...

Wonder if you could get away with this now? :o)"

I had lots of thoughts about that movie while reading this. I would say that a lot of the things described you either couldn't get away with or would blow someone's mind who was born 1990 or later.

message 9: by Audrey (new)

Audrey My husband and I were THIS close to leaving our toddler in the Nevada desert on a road trip. Good times.

Terris This one was really fun!

Matthew Audrey wrote: "My husband and I were THIS close to leaving our toddler in the Nevada desert on a road trip. Good times."

Ha! There has to be more to the story than that. Maybe you should write a book?😉

Matthew Terris wrote: "This one was really fun!"

Indeed! So fun! I am sad that it is over.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Martuneac Road trips are my favorite! Back in 2014 I drove historic Route 66, from Santa Monica all the way to Chicago, and I'm itching to do it again.

Cheryl Just reserved this on audio -- sounds fun! Thanks for this review.

Matthew Cheryl wrote: "Just reserved this on audio -- sounds fun! Thanks for this review."

That's great! :) I hope you enjoy . . . and . . . you're welcome! :)

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie Perfect timing for this one, Matthew!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review Matthew! We used to drive my parents nuts about an hour into our trips.. asking.. “are we there yet?!”🤣🤣🤣

Matthew Julie wrote: "Perfect timing for this one, Matthew!"

Definitely! Bring on the road trips!

message 19: by Matthew (last edited May 23, 2019 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew Karen wrote: "Awesome review Matthew! We used to drive my parents nuts about an hour into our trips.. asking.. “are we there yet?!”🤣🤣🤣"

Thanks, Karen! :)

Oh, man - even with all the entertainment in the car now, the kids still do that!

message 20: by Pat (new)

Pat Really great review Matthew. I do remember those days and almost feel nostalgic for them. I find the device obsession these days so impersonal, nobody talks anymore. For 10 years I lived out of town a bit and the kids and I would play silly games on our way home from after school care. They were great fun and no devices were needed.

Matthew Pat wrote: "Really great review Matthew. I do remember those days and almost feel nostalgic for them. I find the device obsession these days so impersonal, nobody talks anymore. For 10 years I lived out of tow..."

Thanks, Pat!😃

Yeah, I feel a bit guilty about how much I depend on devices now myself!

message 22: by P. (new)

P. Kirby Ah, the good old days. "Seatbelts? We don't need no steenkin' seatbelts!"
Great review.

Matthew P. wrote: "Ah, the good old days. "Seatbelts? We don't need no steenkin' seatbelts!"
Great review."

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I remember I even got points off on my drivers test in the 90s because I answered a question that people in the backseat were required to wear them - the answer at the time was only the driver and front seat passenger! (So, I lost points for being extra safe)

message 24: by Pat (last edited May 23, 2019 07:04PM) (new)

Pat Matthew wrote: "Pat wrote: "Really great review Matthew. I do remember those days and almost feel nostalgic for them. I find the device obsession these days so impersonal, nobody talks anymore. For 10 years I live..."

Ha ha now I depend on them even more (I have 3 iPads, one is always charging and the other two have a book in progress) but hey I live not just out of town but way remote. What makes it bearable is technology - satellite TV and internet rock!

Matthew Pat wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Pat wrote: "Really great review Matthew. I do remember those days and almost feel nostalgic for them. I find the device obsession these days so impersonal, nobody talks anymore. For..."

My wife just got a job as a technology teacher, so it is our life. I lost track of how many Kindles I own!