Nicola's Reviews > Darkest Heart

Darkest Heart by Juliette Cross

bookshelves: 5-stars

Juliette Cross kicks off her Dominion series with one hell of a bang and if you’ve read The Vessel Trilogy and The Deepest Well (although not imperative), demon, Dommiel will be no stranger, nor will the battle between angels and demons. Some books are there to be savoured rather than devoured and I took my sweet time reading this, absorbing the atmosphere, falling in love with the characters, the romance and the tension, build-up and fight as war on modern day earth rages on.

description ...he was definitely a fallen creature of the underworld, but his rough, take-me-or-leave-me appearance and attitude drew me in.

I love a tale of redemption and I’ll take the bait when an anti-hero is up for grabs, and Dommiel’s story is one of best I’ve read—he’s a fallen angel, a high demon and isn’t missing an eye and limb for no reason. His past has been brutal, he’s a loner and also a traitor amongst his ranks, and he’s something special.

description I was doomed. Fated to follow her and this quest till the end. Even if it led me to the darkest pit of hell.”

Anya is his polar opposite—once a guardian angel watching over orphans and abandoned children, she left that behind to take her place on the battlefront—and she needs Dommiel’s help in finding missing Archangel, Uriel. And when you combine her light with his dark, what develops is a story rich and bold, and full of feeling.

description

I have loved so many of Cross’ couples in the past, but Anya and Dommiel are up there as one of her finest with a chemistry which was perfection. Anya is the heroine we’d all love to be—a fearless, kick-arse warrior who epitomises what we perceive in angels with her protective, guiding nature, and Dommiel is deliciously dominant with a subtle, dry sense of humour, but underneath has many layers—many new and unrecognisable to even himself—and as Anya peels them away, we begin to see exactly why he is the demon he is today.

description I was so fucking lonely for so fucking long. And then…her.”

I highlighted so many quotes as I read, many which made my heart hurt, particularly for Dommiel, but which also showcase Juliette Cross’ gift with words and making her reader feel. And to say I’m excited to see how this series unfolds as there’s a wealth of possibility to be had from the cast of characters, is an understatement.

description Aren’t we a motley crew? Two archangels, an angel, and three hunters. Oh, and one demon-spawned raven. Against two demon princes and their horde of infernal priests. Good odds, I’d say.”

Darkest Heart is an absolute must-read.

description

Copy received courtesy of Entangled Publishing via NetGalley for an honest and unbiased opinion. Stock images.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Heart.

July 14, 2018 – Shelved
July 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading
August 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars
August 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review "Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋

Nicola ❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"

Thanks, hon :)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Nicola wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"

Thanks, hon :)"

Always pleasure L💕ve 💙💋

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this is a fantastic start to a new series for you to enjoy, Nicola ;) Super review!! 💕

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review sweets ;) xoxo

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith Terrific review,sweetheart xx

message 7: by Juliette (new) - added it

Juliette Cross Wow. Thank you for this fabulous review, Nicola. :)

Nicola Juliette wrote: "Wow. Thank you for this fabulous review, Nicola. :)"

My pleasure :)

message 9: by Nicola (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicola Wendy wrote: "Great review sweets ;) xoxo"

Judith wrote: "Terrific review,sweetheart xx"

KAS wrote: "Glad this is a fantastic start to a new series for you to enjoy, Nicola ;) Super review!! 💕"

Thanks, ladies <3

Nicola Ana wrote: "Great review Nicola xoxo"

Thanks so much, Ana xox

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Terrific review sweetie!! xx

Nicola Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• wrote: "Terrific review sweetie!! xx"

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Terrific review, darlin’! xoxo

♥ WishfulMiss ♥ Another great review Nicola!

message 15: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Fantastic review, Nicola! ❤️ I love the sound of this.

Nicola Karla wrote: "Terrific review, darlin’! xoxo"

Thanks, hon xox

♥ WishfulMiss ♥ wrote: "Another great review Nicola!"

Jen wrote: "Fantastic review, Nicola! ❤️ I love the sound of this."

Thanks, Jen. Definitely recommend giving it a try xoxo