Debbiegordon's Reviews > Ragtime

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow

U 50x66
Dec 11, 2011

The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is that it is not a fantasy book. Only fantasy can be perfect. I read this because JD teaches it and Berklee is performing it (next week & we'll be there). I can absolutely see why both of those are true.
I doubt i'm the first to say this story creatively captures the essence period in a multitude of ways. ...without being terribly long or packed with details.
A ton of passages & moments stick with me but I'll share just three:
#1 p.263 referring to the young Jewish girl from the once poor immigrant family & the always wealthy young fair-haired boy: "...She left imprints in the sand of a street runner, a climber of dark stairs...She had relieved herself in wooden outhouses behind the tenements...He had never gone without a meal...He ran with his mind. He ran toward something..." The juxtaposition.

[image error]
#2 p. 282 Coalhouse responding to Booker T "...And that we both may be servants of our color who insist on the truth of our manhood and respect it demands."
#3 Not a passage but rather the image in my mind of Pierpont Morgan sleeping in the Great Pyramid and wanting to build a pyramid for himself. Excess, alienation, ridiculous behavior...
#4 I know I said three but a fourth would be the use of the plight & agony of Harry Houdini (his passages make me think of the Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay.
...and there are more. Great read for a book club. Would be great to discuss if you're into socio political historical fiction texts. Great discussion...
Yay for Easter weekend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragtime.