Alan Kaplan's Reviews > Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

Boomerang by Michael   Lewis

Dec 11, 2011

Read in December, 2011

Must read book for anyone who wants to understand the current economic crisis. How did the west become financially bankrupt? Our governments have spent us into oblivion, and the solution is definitely not more spending or taxes. Our new national motto is not E Pluribus Unum, but something for nothing. We demand that our government tax someone else to pay for what we demand as our entitlements. We call these entitlements justice or charity, but there is no justice or charity when the money is obtained by force of a gun. The problem with socialism is that after awhile, you run out of other people's money to spend, and we have reached that point. Democracy fails when the public and the politicians decide that they can vote themselves benefits. I hope that we are not at that point. California is bankrupt. All of the high tax states are. They are reaching the point where there only job is to provide life long pensions to municipal employees. Is this whey we have a government? Should people riot or demonstrate to continue this madness?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang.

05/24/2016 marked as: read