Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > Kingdom of Ash

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: own

This book has all spoilers tagged, so you won't be spoiled unless you want to!

Review To Come (it's past my bedtime and I am working all day tomorrow, SUE ME):

- I enjoyed the length of this.
- Nesryn was a waste of a character.
- This isn't my fave instalment, nor did it beat ACOWAR's finale.
- People keep saying this book copied LOTR, but ffs -- what high fantasy hasn't? It's the same as people saying THG and Divergent are the same, or VA and Twilight. They're not copies. Nothing of the sorts. They're just in the same genres.
- I want to rate this 3 stars but also... Rowaelin and Lorcide made this 5/5 stars.
- Nesryn
- was
- a
- wasted
- character.

---

Time for the fun review:

✨ For more book-focused fun, check out my socials: ✨
Bomb Ass Header
📚 Blog | BookTube | GR Groups: YA Hub | Twitter 📚

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOOK:
It took me a week to fly by the finale. Overall, I'd like to note that I believe ACOWAR is a stronger finale. I think because there were more life-or-death instances occurring during the battles. HOWEVER, Aelin was 10000% more involved in the war than Feyre ever was in her own. So take what you will from my piss-poor comparison.

CHARACTERS/DYNAMICS:
Aelin: okay WOW. After hating her throughout the novels off-and on, it was nice to be fully behind my homegirl for this finale. I loved that she still had surprises, even at the very end. People got mad over (view spoiler) thereby breaking her promise. But I think this truly showed her maturing. Just like when she didn't want to (view spoiler) At least, not like she used to, back in her Dark Days. Aelin truly grows in this novel, and it was a joy to see her story. She continues to inspire me. Fun fact! Every time I read a ToG novel, it makes me want to exercise, be fearless, and be confrontational. Thank you to this awe-inspiring character. I already feel the need to reread these books over and over. Fun fact #2: I am the same age as Aelin????????????????????????? SJM, I need some answers. Why have I not either just become the long-lost queen and found my true love, OR been captured by the Spring Court and will soon find my true love THAT way???? I'm very disappointed.

Rowan: I needed more Rowan for this novel to be 5/5 stars. I love Rowan. He's one of my fave characters, and I think he is perfect. For Aelin. Hehe. I don't think we see him grow in this, not like other characters, and he was really just a hot side-piece for what I love abt SJM'swriting: romance, and fated mates <3.

Chaol: It was disappointing, after Tower of Dawn, to not see too much of Chaol. I KNOW! I've done a complete 180. I didn't care about the guy before, but his focused instalment made me interested in one of the only humans in this novel. I am so proud and happy for him and Yrene. Also, I'm glad he stuck it to his dad. Even after the Notebook Allie's Letter Incident. I'm proud of my boy.

Yrene: Honestly.... she's as iconic as Aelin. WHY WASN'T SHE IN THIS FOR LONGER??? Yrene is a goddess and I demand more of her story. Also: who's helping Yrene (view spoiler)

Elide and Lorcan: THEY WERE EVERYTHING. THEY. WERE. EVERYTHING. THEY HAS USURPED MY LOVE FOR ROWAELIN. THEY ARE THE #1 COUPLE IN THIS INSTALMENT. I NEED A SEQUEL SPECIFICALLY FOR MORE LORIDE/ELORCAN(?? what's their ship name halp). I NEED MORE FANART AND SIDE STORIES OF THEM PLEASE.

The Cadre: (view spoiler) Feyrs was such a wholesome character, but also I stopped caring about him once the battles started. Oops. But yay the feels of all of Maeve's slaves becoming Aelin's men! <3 :')

Dorian: HE IS SO IMPORTANT IN THIS STORY BUT BARELY GETS A CONCLUSION. Give. Me. More. I have always loved Dorian bby, he's what hooked me in book 1.

Manon: (view spoiler) Manon's ice heart melted. I cried and cried for her.

The Thirteen: Chapter 89. (view spoiler) They are the reason (view spoiler) Fight me.

Maeve and Erawan: Tbh............ I don't care about writing anything about them. Surprise, surprise, Maeve is bad. Erawan is... blurgh. I hated the King from ACOWAR more. (view spoiler)

Aedion and Lysandra: Honestly... their side of the war was so boring. And took way too long for a reunion. If you love action and the witches: you'll love their sections. But I'm here for the romance, bby! (view spoiler)

Nesryn and the Antica Royals: most irrelevant thing ever. Tower of Dawn should have only been Chaol getting healed, and finding out abt the stagian spiders. Fin.

PLOT:
Um. Tbh... it's almost 1000 pages, but after (view spoiler) it's just all about the battles. Not too much plot. Just... war. But it made me like war, for once. Usually, I'm like hmm I disapprove. But dang. I was so proud of each soldier.

STRUCTURE:
There are two parts to this book. Book 1: Aelin is trapped with Maeve, early battles begin. Book 2: Epic battles go on. Lots of action.

When I hit 50%, I started to get sad about saying goodbye. To my friends, to this world. I got very sentimental.

I enjoyed part 1 more, but the finale, of course, was so god damn beautiful to witness. Everyone gets married and lives happily ever after (I'm super duper over simplifying it of course). It was so nice. I'm proud of my children.

THEMES:
- Destiny
- Loyalty
- Every Straight Must Be Paired Up = gauranteed happiness.

QUOTES:
*literally every Rowaelin and Elorcide romantic conversation*

THE ENDING:
(view spoiler) The final lines of this book didn't make me weep? What's wrong with me??

IMPACT:
I will reread this series over and over. If I want to see my innocent younglings, I will read ToG and CoM. If I want Rowan, I'll read HoF. If I want to cry, I'll read QoS.

Then, if I want to consolidate this series, I GUESS I'll venture into EoS and KoA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom of Ash.

July 14, 2018 – Shelved
July 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 26, 2018 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "Guess who has 21 library loans and end-of-term assignments due??? GUESS WHO HAS NO SELF CONTROL AND A LOT OF SHAME???"
page 0
0.0% "I’m on page 0, and I’d like to update to all of Goodreads: I’m not ready."
page 0
0.0% "I’d like somebody to hold me the entire time I read this. They can’t make any noise, but I want a long hug during all of this."
page 25
2.55% "What part of “don’t talk to me” does my family not understand?!?"
page 51
5.2% "I really enjoyed this chapter— with Dorian and Gavin."
page 58
5.92% "Hi. I love Lorcan and Elide. Oh my gosh."
page 75
7.65% "Omg omg omg <spoiler>Yay, Yrene is pregnant!!!</spoiler>

People are complaining how “heterosexual” this book is. I am LIVING for it. I love all the ships getting together, getting married, making babies.

I’m so happy!!!"
page 100
10.2% "Don’t give up, Aelin!!! ❤️❤️❤️"
page 112
page 154
15.71% "I need sparknotes I forget half the family ties and histories of I don’t read HoF/QoS back to back oh lord help me"
page 154
15.71% "Current mood: I’m sick and tired but honestly? ??

I’ll sacrifice my health rn to read more Dorian x Manon smut."
page 181
18.47% "Can somebody please kill this man (Chaol’s Dad)???"
page 219
22.35% "Keep holding on, Aelin. They’ve almost found you!"
page 219
22.35% "I’m so OVER people tearing this book apart bc of the lack of rep??? Like how is this any news? It’s the 7th instalment, written by A WHITE, STRAIGHT FEMALE. She’s going to write about and for WHITE, STRAIGHT FEMALES."
page 252
25.71% "THEYRE BACK

THEYRE BACK

I AM GONNA CRY"
page 299
30.51% "Gimme 👏 Rowaelin 👏 smut 👏"
page 332
33.88% "RATTLE THE STARS, AELIN. RATTLE THE STARS!!!"
page 338
34.49% "“Your wife is pregnant.”

Laughing my freaking ass off— the timing is perfect."
page 360
36.73% "1. This is the best chapter ever since QoS.
2. I ship Elide and Lorcan so hard omfg."
page 388
39.59% "Why is it that a book starts to get REALLY REALLY interesting the second it’s time to go to bed???"
page 402
41.02% "Did ppl just die? Pls tell me I read that wrong.

I’M IN DENIAL!"
page 410
41.84% "A reunion!!! I actually AM crying!"
page 418
42.65% "Everything from the prequels is now threading into this finale… I’m a mess. A crying, snotty mess."
page 436
44.49% "All the ships!!! All! The! Ships!

My heart is so happy!"
page 523
53.37% "ELIDE

AND

LORCAN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
page 540
55.1% "Okay but if one of the couples don’t end up together I’m going to feel personally attacked

SJM you’ve promised me hope and love and smut, I did not agree to any of my ships DYING."
page 614
62.65% "@Dorian @Maeve
Dorian"
page 677
page 677
69.08% "Is it bad that I like... want to feel the most pain I’ve ever felt by the time I finish this?"
page 715
72.96% "I cried on the train. I’m so proud of Manon!"
page 752
76.73% "750 pages = no death.
Page 752 = how about all the deaths 😈"
page 765
78.06% "Dorian’s FINALLY reunites with everybody and is already ripping my OTP (Rowaelin) apart. Bruh. Not happy. Dorian gets an F- for this book."
page 765
78.06% "Why is everybody willing to let Aelin go omg???? No Aelin pls don’t"
page 778
79.39% "I have goosebumps. That chapter is everything this series has been leading up to. It’s finally happened.

Aelin, Dorian and Chaol. Back at Endovier. With Rowan by Aelin’s side.

My heart is breaking."
page 793
80.92% "Deanna, you BITCH."
page 799
81.53% "Yo… FUCK the gods."
page 800
81.63% "OMFG

ITS FEYRE AND RHYS

IMGOMGOGMKSUAGAH IDISHSBDJDI"
page 800
81.63% "Aelin throughout all of ToG: *exercises until she can’t breathe, refuses to eat for anything, has 0 levels of anxiety on confrontation*
Me: wow can’t relate… ever."
page 881
89.9% "“‘there are no gods left to help you now, Aelin Galathynius.’
Aelin smiles, and Goldryn burned brighter. ‘I am a god.’
She unleashed herself upon them.”"
page 916
93.47% "I just threw my book across my room.

SJM PULLED AN ACOMAF ON US.

AGAIN.

SHE’S SO SNEAKY."
page 975
99.49% "What finally broke me: Dorian, Chaol and Aelin saying goodbye.

THEY HAVE GROWN SO MUCH.

I AM A MESS."
November 2, 2018 – Shelved as: own
November 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Darce Good review!!

message 2: by Cal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) Darce wrote: "Good review!!"

Thanks so much, Darce! Have you read it yet? :)

Darce I have, and I loved it! My review was just pure rant and it was veryyyyyy longggggg, yours was a good length :D

message 4: by Cal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) @Darce oh I’ll check it out, I LOVE rants

Darce Haha thanks @Cal, I hope you enjoy it if you read it!