Iris's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

This book stole my heart.

It's been almost two months now since I read this book, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Summer of Salt was completely unlike anything I've ever read. It was whimsical and fun, but also dark and creepy. It was soft and sweet, with an underlying current of something much darker.

And I adored it.

I will say, it took me a while to warm up to it. Largely because while I liked the characters... nothing really happened for the first 100 or so pages. (Keep in mind this book is less than 300 pages long). I wasn't bored exactly, but I wasn't all that engaged either.

In fact, I never really cared about the plot. The entire thing centred around this strange bird. It was very odd. I thought the whole thing was a bit ridiculous tbh. But that didn't stop me from loving this book!

Because everything else about it was so beautiful.

The characters were a huge part of why I loved this book so much.

- First off, we have our MC Georgina. She had such an engaging voice, and I really loved her!

- Mary was... I don't even know how to describe her. But I really liked her and she was wonderfully written.

- Prue was such a sweetie, and I adored her! And the romance between her and Georgina was so sweet and soft and precious!

- Also can we talk about Vira?? She wasn't a huge character, but I fell completely in love with her! She was my favourite <3 <3

Shockingly though, the wonderful characters actually weren't my favourite part about this. I know right? Who even am I??

My favourite part of this book was the atmosphere this book had. It was so magical and whimsical and slightly creepy and just so freaking amazing!

Overall? This book was whimsical and lovely with a soft F/F romance, and I 1000% recommend it!

(Major trigger warning for (view spoiler))

***Initial Reaction, January 23, 2019***

This book was deeply weird. It was quirky and bizarre, and I had no clue what was going on for most of the book. But WOW this book was good.

RTC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

July 13, 2018 – Shelved
July 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 23, 2019 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "I need something light after Crooked Kingdom, and this looks fun and sweet, so either I'm totally wrong and this is not at all what I want, or this will be the perfect read for my current mood! (I should maybe read the blurb lol)(But I'm not going to because I'm lazy.)"
page 30
11.03% "I still have no clue what this is about, but it's quite enjoyable so far. Georgina is a very engaging narrator."
page 62
22.79% ""She made a beeline right toward you. We can't be sure yet whether or not she wants to kiss your face, but your chances are looking up."
"I knew there was a reason I liked you."
"My sage, sage wisdom. And also my ice cream."

Hehehe I love this book."
page 98
36.03% "Ahhhhh this is so cute!"
page 114
41.91% "This book is so bizarre. Good, but really really bizarre."
page 150
55.15% "Can someone please explain to me WHY this book has four different characters who share names with people I know??? It's very strange. And also mildly confusing."
January 23, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy