Jo's Reviews > One Skein

Dec 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction, pattern-books
Read in December, 2011

So I got all excited when I saw this book at my library, 'cause I crochet and would like to work on my knitting. Unfortunately, there wasn't a single knit project that I would want to make. In my opinion, these projects kind of feed the bad reputation knitters and crocheters get for lacking taste and style. Also, some of them are fantastically impractical, like the knitted cupcakes. Perhaps I'm just a snooty biz-natch, but who would decorate with knitted cupcakes?

Another strike against the book is that there only six crochet patterns. Out of thirty. Perhaps I'm just biased, but if you're going to say "knit and crochet," the balance between the two should be more even. Maybe not 50-50, but 65-35 at the least. Also, perhaps an indication of which patterns are knit or crochet in the contents or the index, so those of us with no interest in knitting/crocheting can skip right to what we want to look at.

The only advantage I see to this book is that the author actually suggests using your scraps. I keep running into these projects called, like, "Scrap Bag" and "Scrap Throw" and then the pattern is all, "Oh, you need a skein of each of these colors and two skeins of this one." How is that a scrap project? Radford not only includes projects that you could use scraps for, but says things like, "I went digging in my leftovers to see what kind of funky yarns I could use for this. You should do the same." So I gave it an extra star. No, I didn't. But I thought about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Skein.