Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > An Anonymous Girl

An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks

Absolutely gripping and stunning thriller that will have you frantically flipping the pages, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL is a wicked delight.

Last year, I enjoyed the first collaboration between Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, THE WIFE BETWEEN US (St. Martin's Press, January 2018), but I have to say, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL (January 8 2019) is EVEN BETTER.

I was completely taken with the psychology study on ethics and morality and dove right in. And let me say, the pace of AN ANONYMOUS girl is relentless; I couldn't put it down. There's a beautiful dance of psychological intensity meets thriller intrigue as 28-year old Jessica Farris wriggles her way into a psychology study conducted by the mysterious--and slightly sinister--Dr. Shields. All Jessica is led to believe is that she will answer a few questions, get paid, and leave.

But there's so much more at stake. The questions grow increasingly more invasive and personal--does Dr. Shields *know* Jessica? Could there be a secret agenda? Is something else going on? Jessica is asked to complete more demanding and challenging tasks--more than just sitting in front of a computer screen and answering questions--but going out into public where she is told what to wear, who to interact with, and so much more. It's disturbing and completely discordant as to being 'moral and ethical,' the very construct Dr. Shield's claims to be studying.

Jessica is caught in a web of deceit and jealousy and absolutely must find a way to outsmart Dr. Shields--who is always two steps ahead--or she might not survive.

There are so many good twists and deceit in AN ANONYMOUS GIRL--in fact, I wasn't sure *what* (or whom) to believe for awhile, but definitely had my theories. The ending came a little abruptly for me, but maybe that's just me--I didn't really care because I absolutely loved the ride. Also, this is a relatively 'clean' thriller--the language is spot-on, no graphic details, the 'game' is all in the mind, and that, for me is exactly my favorite kind of thriller.

The writing was completely propulsive and intelligent. Although this is a fast-paced thriller and not exactly literary, there were some darn good lines and amazing psychological insight.

Readers who enjoyed THE WIFE BETWEEN US will be stunned and wow-ed with this sophomore collaboration, but also those who enjoyed THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (A.J. Finn), and perhaps (forthcoming) MY LOVELY WIFE (Samantha Downing) meets Thomas Christopher Greene's (forthcoming) THE PERFECT LIAR and also THE GIRLFRIEND (Michelle Frances) meets Paula Treick DeBoard's THE DROWNING GIRLS.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Anonymous Girl.

July 13, 2018 – Shelved