Marty :} (thecursedbooks)'s Reviews > Kiss of the Royal

Kiss of the Royal by Lindsey Duga

17208123

bookshelves: ya, fantasy, favorites, arcs

I want to thank Entangled Teen for sending me this e-copy, this hadn’t influenced my review, nor my rating in any way.

This was the first book I read after coming back from my hiatus and let me tell you what a great choice it was! When I first read the premise, I was a bit skeptical about whether I would like it or not – kissing is used in this book to enhance someone’s fighting skills, strength or heal someone and romantic kissing is seen as a taboo, something rather unnecessary. Their society is pretty much rooted in rational thoughts, lots of fighting against the dark forces (dwarves, dragons, witches and so on), even breeding is strategical to create very powerful individuals.

In my opinion, this premise could either go excellently or horrible. Fortunately, this book was really good and the plot was executed very well and in a creative manner, also things made a lot of sense.

mDHz4gzgI thought the world building could have been a little more complex, but really I didn’t mind it all that much because my entire focus was on Ivy and Zach, The romance between them was really good, it was a slow-burn, it was somewhat hate-to-love, it was full of tension and I was screaming for them to get together already at some point and I’m very patient person when it comes to those things. I loved their personalities and together they were super funny and entertaining, I was grinning for a good part of the book because of their banter and their apparent “dislike for each other”.

I really liked how their story progressed and how Ivy started to slowly understand and see things from Zach’s perspective as well and he was very patient even though he didn’t share her beliefs. I adored his personality so much because he was confident, but not cocky or an over-the-top alpha male. He was pretty swoon-worthy, truth be told. He only crossed me once when a certain incident happen, but I can see him clumsy enough to be that distracted, my silly son. (I’m not getting too much into details because it’s a spoiler and I don’t want to spoil any of you, go read the boooook)

I also appreciated how despite romantic love playing a huge role in the story, there was also mentioned that familial love can be just as important and meaningful. Props to the author for not playing the ‘romantic-love-is-the-only-love-that-matters’ card.

Another favourite part of mine was the backstory of the magic system, I didn’t see most of those things coming, they were pretty difficult to predict and I enjoyed this a lot. Also, Ivy’s character arc was incredible, I loved watching her go through different stages when she found out that her reality might not be as she knows it. It was very well written and credible, it didn’t feel rushed at any parts and I’m glad that her character arc didn’t have to suffer for the romance. Again, claps for that!!

All in all, I really loved this book, I would absolutely recommend it for people who are looking for a slow-burn romance, original plot and well developed characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Royal.

July 10, 2018 – Started Reading