Claire's Reviews > Beneath the Mother Tree

Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron

bookshelves: australian-fiction, australian-women-authors

4.5 ***** This story, filled with Irish folklore and indigenous beliefs and history somehow wove it's magic around me as I read it. It was a very interesting story, full of mystery as well as being a love story. Riley is a newcomer to the island, brought by his mother who has decided it is a good place to move. His mother is so controlling as well as being seemingly quite mad, I wanted to throttle her. Riley is a simple person, I felt like he was half man, half boy. He has been completely sheltered and controlled by his mother and in moving to the island things are about to change all this. I loved the character Grappa who provided me with plenty of entertainment. Ayla was just the right person to meet Riley and I loved how the two of them interacted, both coming from such different places. The descriptions of events and of the island were wonderfully realised and I was completely transported there in my mind. The arrival of Riley and his mother set off a chain of events that cause plenty of trouble as well as bring with them plenty of mystery, I really enjoyed this book and the unfolding of events as we get answers as well as more questions. I loved the weaving of folklore into it and how at times it was hard to decide what was real and what was not. I also loved how the power of imagination was woven into the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath the Mother Tree.

July 13, 2018 – Shelved
page 171
August 29, 2018 –
page 217
September 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers Sounds like a great book. :)

Claire Georgia wrote: "Sounds like a great book. :)"

It was ☺ i was pleasantly surprised

message 3: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers Actually, the cover is very inviting, very intriguing. I'll try to see if I can pick it up.

Claire Georgia wrote: "Actually, the cover is very inviting, very intriguing. I'll try to see if I can pick it up."

Yes the cover is lovely, i borrowed mine from the library