Marialyce's Reviews > Sold on a Monday

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

liked it
bookshelves: net-galley, traveling-sisters

3 sadly disappointing stars
My reviews can be seen here: https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

You know book lovers that feeling you get when you see a cover and a blurb about a book and you know in your head that you just have to read it? Perhaps it is the anticipation, the wanting for this book to be spectacular, the need to read it from start to finish that propels you. Perhaps also it is this anticipation, that sets higher goals then this book is able to reach and sadly this was the case for me with Sold On A Monday.

A "want to be" newspaper reporter sees a sad sight and snaps a photo. Later, it is believed that he has a gem of an idea for a story, a story that might propel him into the position at the paper he so desires. The sign is that of two young boys sitting on a porch. They are being sold, a result of the effects of the depression where life became so onerous for Americans that a sight such as this tragically happened. The reporter, Ellis Reed returns to find these boys and sees the house deserted and the children gone. So Ellis stages a photograph using two other children and from this the photograph a story and tragic events ensues. The children in the second photo are gone, sold......Ellis must find them and what happened to these young children.

He is joined on this journey by Lillian Palmer, a young woman also looking for a way to better herself and follow in the footsteps of Nelly Bly. Lillian herself carries a secret and she an Ellis search for these children following quite a circuitous trail to their possible whereabouts. Their search leads to heartbreak for the mother of the children of the staged photo.

This book has such an excellent premise and I was hopeful that it would provide an excellent story. However, sadly, I was disappointed. I felt a lack of a connection with the characters, as the book seemed to lack that emotional tie so needed in a book of this sort. There was just not that punch I felt this book required, although the author did a fine job with her descriptions. I enjoyed her author's note about the 1948 photo which inspired this book. I wished so much that she had followed up with that photo with its tragic story instead.

This was a quick read, one that I read with a group, The Traveling Sisters on goodreads. We each came away feeling the same way about this story.

Thank you to Kristina McMorris, Source Books Landmark, and NetGalley for an advanced copy o this book.

The picture that inspired the story. Siblings shown in old photo tell their stories and the article about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sold on a Monday.

July 12, 2018 – Started Reading
July 17, 2018 –
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: net-galley
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: traveling-sisters
July 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana Sorry it didn’t work, Marialyce. Great review!

Babydimps (Suzy) Oh no! My request is still pending for this one on NG. Maybe they’ll decline me. Sorry it didn’t work for you Marialyce!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Too bad you all didnt enjoy this one more, but at least you read it together :-) Hope you love your next!

Angela M Wish we had loved it , Marialyce! Enjoyed reading with you too !

Marialyce Thanks so much Dana, Suzy, and Kristin.

I know Angela! We were all hoping for an exciting read and it fizzled unfortunately.

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Marialyce! Too bad we all didn’t love this one. I love that cover though! 😊

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry you didn’t connect with the characters, Marialyce, and was disappointed :( Great, honest review!! xox

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Marialyce! Sorry this one didn’t work for you!

Marialyce Thank you everyone!

message 10: by JanB (new)

JanB Marialyce, I agree, the cover and the premise are so promising. Too bad it didn't measure up. Thanks for helping with whittling down my tbr.

Susanne Strong Great review Marialyce! Every review I've seen said the same thing.. I started this then just stopped.. now I don't want to pick it back up. :(

Cheri Terrific review, Marialyce, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this more, but I'm not surprised!

Marialyce JanB wrote: "Marialyce, I agree, the cover and the premise are so promising. Too bad it didn't measure up. Thanks for helping with whittling down my tbr."

That's what friends are for, Jan :)

Marialyce Susanne wrote: "Great review Marialyce! Every review I've seen said the same thing.. I started this then just stopped.. now I don't want to pick it back up. :("

I know Susanne. It is so so discouraging when you have such anticipation that a book will be outstanding.

Marialyce Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Marialyce, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this more, but I'm not surprised!"

Thanks, Cheri!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wonderful review Marialyce ! Thanks for including that link! Too bad this one didn't work out better for us. Still a pleasure to read with you though! :-)

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wish this had been a bit better for you, Marialyce! Hoping you have a great book up next! 💞

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Good point about expecting a more emotional read given the circumstances. Sounds as if you were all middle of the road on this one.

Marialyce Thanks so much Lindsay, Mackenzie and Victoria.

Debra Great honest review. I hope your next book is better!

message 21: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I’m right there with you. Loved the cover, the book not so much.

Marialyce Thanks Debra! I appreciate your comment.

Marialyce I know Liz, that cover was fantastic. Wish the book had been half as good.

Patty I agree...I was disappointed myself...rather boring the way it was written and told. Did people really act like that in the 1930's? It was
s just too corny and predictable.