John's Reviews > Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?

Suicide of a Superpower by Patrick J. Buchanan

2095414

bookshelves: 2011

I admire Buchanan much more now, after having read this book. I've read a couple of his books, but he's never exhibited the kind of Christian wisdom he showed in this book. He recognizes the spiritual decline in America is responsible for the cultural and political decline we are experiencing now.

He takes direct aim at multiculturalists in this book, with even greater precision and force than in "Day of Reckoning." He argues that the flood of third-world immigration into the Western nations is one of the greatest forces for destruction in the modern world. Of course, the doors were only opened to such peoples through the policies of their governments.

The race conflicts that have resulted have wrought amazing damage to the West, and undermined the values the West cherished in becoming ascendant. Many will charge Buchanan with racism, but the careful reader will realize that Buchanan sees these forces at work in every culture and every nation on earth. Diversity cannot possibly be a source of strength, as everywhere there is diversity, there is conflict. Perhaps the most insightful argument he makes is demonstrating that God confused the people at Babel by diversifying their language. If diversity is a weapon of God's judgment--how can it be a source of strength for any culture?

Beyond multiculturalism, Buchanan shows how our military is overstretched and our foreign policy is insolvent--meaning that should an unforeseen catastrophe arise, our military would be exposed as incapable of fighting on another front. He shows how the government debts in the West have weakened and further threaten the stability and ambitions of each nation.

The book has flaws, and I'm still unpersuaded by his arguments against free trade, but this is an excellent book and very accessible for a wide audience. It is remarkably depressing, but a realistic look at the state of the West.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suicide of a Superpower.

December 10, 2011 – Started Reading