Margaret's Reviews > Six Wakes

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty

Wow! Take that, locked room mystery!

The title "Six Wakes" refers to all six of a clone crew waking simultaneously to a grisly crime scene in the cloning bay. Four dead clone bodies with copious blood and gore. PLUS, the ship's artificial gravity is off and the starship has gone off course. (The other two clone bodies are found shortly thereafter.)

Worse, the last memory any of the six crew has is the day the ship launched. (Normally in this world when a clone wakes he (or she) has all of his/her previous clone life's memories. Sometimes there is a brief gap but normally nothing like this.)

So, obviously, there is a murderer on board but which one of the six is the killer?

I don't want to say too much more, lest I give away too much of this brilliant plot.

I was worried that this was going to be a horror novel but it is not.

It is an excellent hard sf novel with a mystery (whodunit) to be solved. I thoroughly enjoyed this book all the way through to the end. (And, yes, it kept me up to 2 AM because I just couldn't put it down. I needed to finish this book!)

This author was completely new to me but I totally understand how Six Wakes came to be a finalist for the current Hugo Best Novel Award and how so many of Ms. Lafferty's other works have been nominated for previous Hugo and Nebula Awards, plus Ms. Lafferty herself being nominated for the Campbell Award for best new writer in both 2012 and 2013.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Wakes.

July 12, 2018 – Started Reading