Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2019

The Silent Patient feels like a book everyone loves, expect me. Yeah, for some reason this book just didn't do the trick for. For one thing, it didn't feel like a thriller, or rather for me it lacked any thrilling moments. The story felt flat, likewise the characters, especially Theo Faber. I'm sorry, but he mostly annoyed me, his obsession with Alicia Berenson and his marriage problem. And, from the beginning is it clear that he's not that mentally sound so I wasn't surprised when "things" happened towards the end.

I felt that the story was just idling along, it never picked up the pace and neither Alicia's diary entries nor Theo's POV really grabbed my interest. At least it was pleasant enough that I could finish the book. Now, of course, there must be some twist to the story and sure enough, when the book was nearly done did it show up. And, yes I have to admit that it was a clever move, alas a bit too late for me and frankly not especially imaginative. It felt a bit like it's been done before and I just felt a bit tired and not that impressed.

Well, my review is pretty negative, but it's hard to think of anything good to write when I mostly felt like it was not the right book for me. I like my thrillers to draw me in, for the characters to be fascinating to read about. This book, nah.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

July 12, 2018 – Shelved
July 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
January 24, 2019 – Started Reading
January 27, 2019 –
January 27, 2019 –
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
January 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

megs_bookrack Excited to see your thoughts on this one!

Amanda As a licensed therapist it was painful to hear the psychology jargon thrown around so forcefully. Theo’s IQ score is at or about room temperature.

Julia Yes!!! Thank you. You basically said everything I have been thinking while reading this book.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede I'm glad I'm not alone being not impressed with the story. :)

Umut Reviews OMG Amanda, I thought the same. If poor patients are in the hands of doctors like these (BUT ALL of them, not only Theo), well good luck! It's too coincidental. Her ex-doctor is an idiot who hides he treated her, and ends up in Grove. Second, the head of the hospital is another idiot. Third, Theo himself is an idiot. All the guys ended up in same quarters, too close. I think it was a bad thriller really. Peter Swanson's new book is coming out in March: Before She Knew Him. It was fantastic, if you're looking for a good thriller, I'd highly recommend!

Erin (from Long Island, NY) I agree!! This was 1 i was really excited about too! But the first half (3 quarters?) just went on forever.. & same as you said... I had NO patience for his marriage issues... & all the characters were just blah. I guess maybe i expected more with Alicia, but she just didn't talk until the diary & then bam! Ugh, so much i want to say but i won't leave spoilers.. Great review!! Glad I'm not the only 1!

Andrea Honest review,we all can't like every book we read.its on my list to read.🌞

Jill I agree with your review...it just kept dragging and dragging. The characters were an unlikable group of people for the most part. The book was "meh".

message 9: by Susu (new)

Susu Thanks. Yours is the fourth review that echos the same downfalls. I’m removing it from my TBR- it needs thinning anyway.
Hmm.... and it’s going to be a movie.

message 10: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen echoing all the above responses, I'm 3 chapters in and wondering how this book became so popular. Glad I read Magdalena review before going any further, as I can't see myself enjoying it either, for all the reasons she and others here have stated