Siv's Reviews > Beautiful Ruins

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

This one sat on my shelf for years waiting for the right moment, but once I opened it I could not put it down. I spent an entire lovely day wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, lost in its story. I cried when I finished, not because it was so sad, but because it lived up to the beauty in its title.

It always fascinates me when I read back-to-back books, entirely different yet hitting the same theme. In this case, "Everything Everything" and "Beautiful Ruins" which, from varied angles, preach the distinction between existence and living.

"I've been thinking about how people sit around for years waiting for their lives to being, right? Live a movie. You know what I mean?...I know I felt that way. For years. It was as if I was a character in a movie and the real action was about to start any minute. But I think some people wait forever, and only at the end of their lives do they realize that their life has happened while they were waiting for it to start. Do you know what I mean, Pasquale?" (54)

"Stories are people. I'm a story, you're a story...your father is a story. Our stories go in every direction, but sometimes, if we're lucky, our stories join into one, and for a while, we're less alone." (62)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Ruins.

Started Reading