KHB's Reviews > 2000 Tunes

2000 Tunes by Karl Drinkwater

M 50x66

After reading and enjoying Karl Drinkwater's Cold Fusion 2000, I read 2000 Tunes which is set in the same location and time. It is a gem of book, beautifully written with characters fully developed (as the book is quite long), but well worth the read. It's simply a book about life, love, opportunity lost, misinterpretations, social awkwardness, work relationships and the experiences of a few common folk. Highly recommend it.

April 26, 2020

This is my second review of this book. One of the precious few advantages of being old is that I will completely forget a book I've read within a relatively short time. This allows me to re-read it as if it was the first.

I read 2000 Tunes by Karl Drinkwater in 2018, and the review I gave it at the time thought it was a really good book, albeit too long according to the masses, who apparently don't like super long books? You can read my first review above to know what I thought the first run through.

So when I saw that the author re-edited the book to be tighter, shorter and a better book overall, I couldn't pass up buying the new version and reading it again. I truly enjoyed it, and wish I remember reading it the first time so I could say it's even better now.

What I do know is the new version I just read is stellar. It's still a large novel and a great book, beautifully written as are all Drinkwater books in my view. Specifically of note is the partner to this book Cold Fusion 2000.

There is a wealth of character development in this story supported by intimate dialogue that I just loved. It all feels so real. I especially remember the protagonist meeting some people at a club where he didn't really fit into the group and he didn't know what to say to fix it. He eventually had to get away by faking a cell phone call, but it made me feel so incredibly uneasy while I read it, I just wanted it to be over. It takes great writing skill to pull that off.

This book is a must read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2000 Tunes.

Finished Reading