Max Ostrovsky's Reviews > Between Time and Terror

Between Time and Terror by Robert E. Weinberg

Jun 27, 2007

bookshelves: sci-fi, horror, fiction, short-stories
Read in February, 2006

Theiscollection is taken from some of the biggest names of horror and sci-fi, with each story a mix of both. Probably, the most famous story would be "Who Goes There," by John Campbell, Jr, the influence behind the film The Thing, both the 50's version and the John Carpenter remake.

Usually, with stories like these, the twist or gotcha! moment comes at or near the end, but one story, "Father-Thing" by Philip K. Dick (the man behind Bladerunner) got me at the beginning. All the stories I've read so far in the book have been spectacularly great, but this one, I just had to excerpt:

"Dinner's ready," commanded Mrs. Walton. "Go get your father and tell him to wash his hands. The same applies to you, young man." She carried a steaming casserole to the neatly set table. "You'll find him out in the garage."

Charles hesitated. He was only eight years old, and the problem bothering him would have confounded Hillel. "I --" he began uncertainly.

"What's wrong?" June Walton caught the uneasy tone in her son's voice and her matronly bosom fluttered with sudden alarm. "Isn't Ted out in the garage? For heaven's sake, he was sharpening the hedge shears a minute ago. He didn't go over to the Andersons', did he? I told him dinner was practically on the table."

"He's in the garage," Charles said. "But he's -- talking to himself."

"Talking to himself!" Mrs. Walton removed her bright plastic apron and hung it over the doorknob. "Ted? Why, he never talks to himself. go tell him to come in here." She poured boiling black coffee in the little blue-and-white china cups and began ladling out creamed corn. "What's wrong with you? Go tell him!"

"I don't know which of them to tell." Charles blurted out desperately. "They both look alike."

Wow. I just love that beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Time and Terror.