Bonnie's Reviews > The Ridge

The Ridge by Michael Koryta

Dec 10, 2011

it was ok

I picked up The Ridge because one of my friends described it as "quite possibly the best book I've ever read". I didn't have the same reaction by a longshot. Now, to start with, the book's subject matter is far from my cup of tea. Horror, supernatural, creepy, other worldly, scary, thriller. Not something I'd normally read. That said, if the book had been superbly written I think I would've enjoyed it regardless. I often find myself saying I don't like this or that genre and then a great book will change my mind about the subject. The Ridge was not a great book. It didn't suck by any stretch of the imagination. If you like supernatural thrillers, you'd probably enjoy it. In the middle of the West Virginia mining mountains, a local eccentric builds a lighthouse in the woods. When he dies of apparent suicide after contacting local law enforcement, a collection of photographs and maps inside the lighthouse spark a mystery. The new arrival of a large wild cat preserve on "the ridge" adds to the dangerous situation. There were things that never did make sense to me in the book, the characters were forgettable and the ending was unsatisfying. I won't pick up another by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ridge.

December 10, 2011 – Started Reading