Julie's Reviews > The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life

The 36-Hour Day by Nancy L. Mace

bookshelves: 2018-reads, nonfiction

I wish I didn't have to read this book. I wish no one had to read a book like this. Not because it's a bad book (because it isn't), but because this disease is so ugly! This book is highly recommended for anyone who is dealing with a family member, friend, or going through dementia themselves. In my particular case, we are dealing with Lewy Body Dementia. I'd heard many people recommend this book in different support groups I'm in. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to have read this but it hurt. This book will tell you how it is dealing with someone with dementia. There is no sugar coating situations. It's raw and at times, incredibly hard to read.

The author of this book made certain to cover just about every topic a family member could have when dealing with dementia. Basic symptoms are discussed, medications that are commonly prescribed along with their side effects, behaviors to look out for, modifications that may need to be made to a home or a person's life. Also, how to deal with caregiver strain (yes, it's a real serious thing), how to talk to children who may be affected, how to find a home, if needed, for the person with dementia, resources available, and so much more. As a former member of the healthcare community, I thought this book wouldn't really teach me many different things, but it did.

I highly recommend this book for anyone and everyone dealing with dementia. This book is written so that you only have to read the parts you want to, but I highly recommended reading it all. There is a lot to be learned from the information shared in this book. Finally, I would also recommend that if you are a caregiver, that you take to heart the tips given in this book. Dealing with situations like dementia can cause a lot of strife in your personal life, it can destroy family relationships, and have children feeling left out. Please seek out help from professionals if needed as well. This is tough and know that I'm praying for all of you dealing with this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 36-Hour Day.

July 11, 2018 – Shelved
July 31, 2018 –
page 201
August 1, 2018 –
page 265
81.79% "The more I read of this book, the more scared I become of what we are facing. I just have to remember that God has this and he belongs to the Lord."
August 15, 2018 – Finished Reading