Lolly's Library's Reviews > Napolean's Privates

Napolean's Privates by Tony Perrottet

bookshelves: trivial-pursuits, nonfiction, reference, european-history

What can I say? I'm a trivial sort of person and books such as this one appeal to me on many levels. I love history, but I also love delving into the parts of history not covered in your standard classroom environment. And, c'mon, everyone loves a bit of dirty gossip, especially if it's about a famous or infamous personage. Napoleon's Privates fits the bill in all these categories. What allows this to stand out from your average titillation compilation, though, is that at the end of each vignette, Perrottet provides a list of references, from books to magazine articles and websites, which make it handy for the reader who would like to follow up on a particular story in greater depth. It also makes the book more than just an amusing collection of anecdotes; Perrottet uses those references to help dispel some of the more stubborn myths and legends surrounding these historical figures, as well as to shed light on some of their more unfamiliar aspects of their lives.

All-in-all, a very fun yet, equally, a very informative read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napolean's Privates.