Harlie Williams's Reviews > Flip the Beat

Flip the Beat by Roxanne D. Howard

bookshelves: book-challenge-2018, contemporary, favorite-authors, harlie-books, new-adult, romance, spicy

Every read a debut author and thought, the second book won’t be as good? *raises hand* All the time. I know, I have no shame. So I read Ms. Howard’s first book, Sonnet Coupled and was completely blown away by it. So I signed up to read her second book, Flip the Beat and this is no sophomore slump. Granted this book is way hotter than her first, this one had a depth to it that I wasn’t expecting. Plus, it is much shorter, so I really didn’t know what to think.

Let me assure you, that while shorter, Ms. Howard reveals the plot very slowly. Yes, slowly. Sure Molly and Evan are hot and heavy in the book but when you peel an onion, you get a whole lot of layers. And this story has more layers than an onion. Slowly, bits and pieces of Evan are revealed and he is NOT what he seems. Molly’s character is much more straightforward but I will have to say, I was disappointed in not having some closure on her stepmother. I know, I’m weird but this being a fairytale, I wanted it. Even if it was just a slap in the face or a sentence or two in the epilogue.

This story is based on Cinderella but with a great twist. In fact, since Ms. Howard told the story with some many layers, I didn’t figure anything out at all. I was totally surprised with how everything unfolded. Ms. Howard is one of those rare authors that doesn’t show her hand in her writing until its necessary. I love that about her. Her secondary characters are top notch, too. Nell and Jorge were hilarious, as was her life coach. *wink*

I absolutely adored Molly and Evan. It is a very well balanced book with plenty of hot smexy times, great character growth and a very plausible plot that is also realistic. Trust me, the blurb doesn’t even tell you 1/4 of the story. Again, layers people. Layers…
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flip the Beat.

July 10, 2018 – Started Reading