Sakura Joy's Reviews > Mind Games

Mind Games by Teri Terry

it was ok
bookshelves: boy-meets-girl, dystopia, young-adult

I give this book 2 stars because it had some pretty interesting ideas. But I retain 3 other stars because the way these ideas were carried out is extremely clumsy, and I do mean it. Some might say it's a complex and thrilling book, for my part, I just feel like it's a total mess without any head or tail. All I can remember of the plot after finishing my reading is:

"omg I'm in a cybersp- OH LOOK, A CONSPIRACY! - Internet is baaaaaad and- OMFG, LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS I CAN DO FOR WHATEVER REASON AND ALSO I'VE GOT (view spoiler) LIKE LITERALLY HOW F*CKING AMAZING IS THAT???"

Sorry if this simili-sentence was a bit painful to read but it's exactly how I felt reading the whole novel: like the author was yelling her ideas at me without any coherence whatsoever. Maybe because everything happens waaaaaay too quickly to let the reader truly feel the consequences. There were lots of moments when all I could think was:

"HEY, could we at least take one moment to talk about the crazy stuff that just happened ???"

So, yeah... I think my problem with "Mind Games" is that it doesn't. Make. Any. F*cking. Sense. In fact, I've read all the 400-something pages and still have no idea about how this whole super-evil-corporation thing is supposed to work. I mean, come on, am I supposed to believe that the top-secret training of their elite consists of making them play games and having fun on virtual beaches? Also, how exactly is that Internet-of-the-future supposed to work? It doesn't matter how much the OS are likely to evolve in the future: if you can switch the word "hacker" with "fairy" or "wizard", then you should probably reconsider a thing or two about your story.

Oh and, by the way: sorry to ruin your hopes, miss Terry, but I doubt your "Slated" trilogy would ever be considered as worthy of being in any syllabus...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind Games.

July 11, 2018 – Started Reading