Eva's Reviews > The Girl in the Letter

The Girl in the Letter by Emily Gunnis

4.5* --> 5*

Wow! The Girl in the Letter has left me rather speechless and let me tell you that doesn’t happen very often. I feel quite lost for words and slightly incapable of forming any kind of coherent sentence, nor do I have a clue as to how to do this novel justice.

In her debut novel, Emily Gunnis tackles one of the most disturbing topics in history. That of the mother and baby homes, where single expecting mothers were sent to give birth away from the disapproving eyes of relatives and neighbours. They were often forced to give their babies up for adoption with no hope of ever seeing them again.

The story starts in 1956 when young Ivy is sent to St. Margaret’s. Abandoned by her family and the boy who got her pregnant, the circumstances in which she finds herself are utterly devastating. Sixty years later, reporter Samantha stumbles upon letters written by Ivy while at the mother and baby home. Samantha senses there’s a story here that needs to be told. What happened to Ivy? Where is Ivy’s baby? What secrets and lies hide behind the walls of the home?

I don’t want to give too much away about the plot. Yes, there are a few mysteries to be solved and questions to be answered but to be honest, they all kind of melted into the background for me. This was all so realistic and believable, as history has proven it to be, that it near had me in bits. Ivy’s letters are immensely harrowing and the events she describes are incredibly disturbing. I can’t even begin to imagine the hardship of daily life at the home, the loss of a child. Not just at the home but also in later life. It’s devastating to realise that so many people got away with these atrocities.

The Girl in the Letter is a thought-provoking, moving and utterly heartbreaking novel that nearly had me in tears. It made me sad, it made me angry and it’s a novel I won’t be forgetting in a hurry. I’m not entirely sure I’ve managed to get across the impact this novel had on me but I do so hope I’ve said enough to make you want to pick this one up. This is an absolutely incredible debut novel by Emily Gunnis and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Letter.

July 11, 2018 – Shelved
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 4, 2018 – Started Reading
August 4, 2018 –
August 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Cathyt (new)

Cathyt If you loved this, try *What She Left Behind* by Ellen Marie Wiseman. Similar in how women were treated and really, not so long ago! It was a heart wrenching read along the same lines as this book.

message 2: by Cathyt (new)

Cathyt What happened to my post and why does it say deleted user??

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Cathyt wrote: "What happened to my post and why does it say deleted user??"

I don't know what you mean as I can see your comments just fine, Cathy! I have already read that novel but thank you for the recommendation! :-)