Whispering Stories's Reviews > Thunderhead

Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman

20354973

Book Reviewed by Nia on www.whisperingstories.com

I’m so glad that I read this book directly after the first in the series, I was still very much in the zone and this book was absolute perfection.

I felt that Scythe, the first book, was a little slow in the action and pacing department but it turns out that it was all about setting things up for this book – the politics we were introduced to have now taken a dark turn, we learn more about the Thunderhead and its origins, and Citra and Rowan are now finding their footing in the world of scythes. The Thunderhead is a giant AI system created by humans to run the world and sustain humanity, exploring what all that means is fascinating and a deeply compelling read. The pacing is punchy, taking us from one event to another with just the right amount of suspense and intrigue in between.

We’re introduced to a new main character in this book, Greyson, a regular person who was raised by the Thunderhead rather than his negligent parents. The author then tells us about events from the perspectives of Greyson, Rowan and Citra, with journal style entries by the Thunderhead between each chapter. So that’s two people who can’t communicate with the AI that runs the world, one who was raised by it and the AI itself which has to abide by its own rules, which means being unable to intervene in events despite being able to see what’s coming.

The best thing about this book is the huge and unpredictable leaps it takes with the narrative; some things you can see coming but others will leave you reeling. The author isn’t afraid to do some risky things, which I think pays off big time. Knowing that absolutely anything could happen makes it more exciting and a 500 page gut punch, which has left me devastated that the next instalment hasn’t been published yet.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the cover art for this series – I LOVE the cover design, I can’t wait for the entire series to be released so I can decide whether or not it would be too obsessive to have a poster made of them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunderhead.

July 7, 2018 – Started Reading
July 9, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader) I need to read Book 1!

Whispering Stories Nikki wrote: "I need to read Book 1!" I hope you get to it soon. Book one is good, book two is great.

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Strand Sounds like a great follow up to the first book!

message 4: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I absolutely loved Scythe and Thunderhead! They are two of my favorite reads of the year! I'm obsessed and cannot wait for the third one (2019!?! Whhhhyyy???).

Whispering Stories I know with the first two being so close together as well.

Lauren Such an amazing series! I loved them both so much!

message 7: by Danvers (new)

Danvers Fletcher Oh! I love them ...fantastic

message 8: by Katiria (new)

Katiria Great review! :)