Daisy May Johnson's Reviews > Kidnap in the Caribbean

Kidnap in the Caribbean by Lauren St. John

bookshelves: series, childrens-literature

I have a little bit of a problem. I think I'm in love with this series. I thought Dead Man's Cove was brilliant I'm genuinely pleased to report that Kidnap in the Caribbean is of a similar standard. And, before I get into this, I need to congratulate whoever is designing this series. The dustjacket for Kidnap in the Caribbean is utterly lovely.

The second in the series of Laura Marlin adventures, Kidnap in the Caribbean is a fabulous read. You know it's good when you just stop everything and just sit down and read solidly because you need to know what happens next. I love Laura, I really do. She's making me remember the first few days I discovered Buffy. She's a smart, intelligent heroine that you have no choice to root for because she's such a brilliant character. She stands, and she fights for what she believes in and that's a pleasure to read.

I know I'm gushing a little (to be honest, following my Dead Man's Cove review you should just be relieved I've found a synonym for brilliant)but you need to understand how rare this sort of book is. I have a female character that is a) not defined solely by her relationship to a boy and b)is independent, smart and brave. Add to that a James Bond-esque location, an awesome huskey sidekick and some heart-in-the-mouth moments, and you've got yourself one heck of a book.

Kidnap in the Caribbean is brilliant.

Ah.

I was doing so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kidnap in the Caribbean.

Finished Reading