Samantha's Reviews > The Next Thing I Knew

Dec 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read on December 10, 2011

The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin reads like a chocolate truffle. The well-crafted story is a treat and fun read with a juicy core of greater issues and philosophy. This is an excellent book that can be read on many levels ranging from simple popcorn fun to serious consideration of death and what comes after. I don’t want to scare those off who want to read a fun book as this one is. I mean the broad plot points are that everyone is dead and aliens come into the picture, fun stuff. However, within this broad points the author allows for an open-ended thoughts and plots that the reader choose to or not to think of deeper issues within.
The characters in the story are fairly well fleshed out and were portrayed in very realistic manner. There really were no “super powered” protagonists to ease the way but just everyday people dumped into situations. While the plot might seem wacky, unusable fluff the author actually makes it work in a surprising way that is almost unbelievable but oh so good for the reader. The author didn’t wimp out on the ending and provided a great wrap up to the story. Even for those readers that are consummate series readers this book won’t disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Thing I Knew.