Reyiel Ananke's Reviews > The Fortunate Brother

The Fortunate Brother by Donna Morrissey

bookshelves: fiction, first-reads, give-aways, thriller

I won this book through Goodreads giveaways.

Kyle is part of a family struck by tragedy: his brother died in a rig accident and he know learning to live in a small city without him, an alcoholic father, a distant mother with her own share of tragedy, and on top of that a body has been found near his own.

Donna is very good at setting the scene, she captured perfectly how a small city suffering a strong economic decline, with everybody knowing everybody, hush secrets screamed over the roofs, a very down to earth population and a very deep plot.

To be honest I had to fight through the book sometimes as she replicates how her characters talk on her writing, and I couldn´t understand anything. Sometimes reading it out-loud helped, sometimes it was a guessing game.

The plot is simple, sometimes known in advance, but you still continue to read as you get attached to the humanity of the characters and they deserve to have their story told.

I wouldn´t say it is a light reading book, both but some of the subjects talked about, and the vocabulary used, but it will keep you busy for a good week end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortunate Brother.

Started Reading