tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Partitions

Partitions by Jacki Apple

liked it
bookshelves: art, artists-books

I 1st encountered the work of Jacki Apple on a great 2 record set called "Air Waves". This is one of my all-time favorite recordings &, given that it was published in 1977, probably the earliest sound art comp I ever ran across. It was published by "one ten records" & they also put out Apple's LP "The Mexican Tapes - a Film/Audio Work" - also quite interesting. I've only listened to the latter a few times (maybe only twice) but I vaguely remember it's being a sortof radio play internal monolgue about the weirdnesses of being married to a CIA agent under diplomatic cover in Mexico. Or something like that. Maybe it's autobiographical. Dunno.

"Partitions" begins w/ "A plate glass window exists between us." That's located on the middle of a translucent page. 2 paragraphs, one on the top & one on the bottom, are faintly visible on the next page thru this 1st page. The 1st of these reads:

"We watch each other from a great distance, trying to measure each other's intent. What does it mean, what do you think it means, when I smile at you? When I kiss you? Do you hear the words that roll off my tongue? What do you mean when you say you love me?"

The next page has a paragraph in its middle - visible thru this page. & so forth. The metaphor/description of the intervening glass develops: "You step up to the window. You try to trace the outline of my face with your fingertips." It gets more dramatic:

"You take out a razor blade, cut a straight line across the glass at the point where my heart is. I apply tape quickly, my palms sweating in terror."

I like things where the form enhances the content. That's the case here. Proceeding thru the translucent pages is like proceeding thru the plate glass metaphor. Apple, like so many people I write about on GoodReads, is long since someone whose work I've lost touch w/. So I look her up online & she has a substantial web presence. I reckon she's a 'successful artist.' I can easily imagine this bk as a performance, as a movie. It wd be interesting to see/hear more from her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partitions.