Jennifer's Reviews > Heroine

Heroine by Mindy McGinnis

bookshelves: edelweiss, favorites-2018

4.5/5 stars

Heroine is a Young Adult contemporary novel that I would classify as realistic fiction.

The narrator is Mickey Catalan (1st person POV). She is a high school senior and a star softball player (she is the team's catcher).

This book was so good. I read it in one day. It is not a particularly happy read. This book deals with a very serious and important subject. But it is a book that everyone should read.

The book starts with a prologue set a few months before chapter one. The prologue was haunting and sets the stage for the rest of the story.

Chapter one begins with Mickey getting into a car accident. She is prescribed pills. This is the beginning of the journey the author takes us on.

I liked the format of the story. The chapters were super short. But often a lot happened in each one.

This is a harrowing and powerful look at a very difficult subject. This is such an important book. It made me feel a lot of compassion for people who are in excruciating pain. They are being prescribed addictive pills. And it is easy to see how things could go wrong.

I have read a bunch of books by this author. She writes different and meaningful books. But they often have crazy endings. This one was different and meaningful. But it was much easier to relate to. This book was riveting. This story felt so real. While reading Heroine I could definitely see how it would be so easy for this story to happen.

This book is haunting, disturbing and upsetting. But it is a must read Young Adult book.

Thanks to edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for allowing me to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroine.

July 9, 2018 – Shelved