Cyndi Becker's Reviews > Down with Love

Down with Love by Kate Meader

bookshelves: august-18

Kate Meader is an absolute master of the Opposites Attract trope. She knows how to mold two outwardly different characters so that what often comes to light is how much alike the characters are. That deep down they share fundamental beliefs. The joy in reading Kate Meaders' Down With Love is that Max and Charlie are just that sort of couple.

Wedding planner Charlotte (Charlie" Love, ever the optimist, believes in soul mates and in finding her person. Divorce attorney Max Henderson on the other hand can't fathom the idea of a lifelong commitment and is suspect of all efforts Charlie puts into her work. Always a stellar storyteller, Meaders greatest strength is the dialogue and the banter that comes from Max and Charlie being thrust together as Max's brother prepares for wedded bliss. Their chemistry oozes off the pages as Charlie throws down on Max:
“I’m guessing that a busy guy like you won’t have time to worry about the finer details of wedding planning,” I continue. “Just show up for your tux fitting and stow your hate at the chapel door.”
Booyah! That’s a pretty great exit-stage-left line so I stand to leave. But I should have known that a guy as verbal as Max Henderson would have to get in the last word."

I very nearly had a perma-grin while I was reading this but the road to true love is never easy. Max makes some gross assumptions and miscalculates the trajectory of the "no strings attached" involvement that develops between them. Charlie's doubt grow as to the genuineness of Max's intensions. The story plays out at a perfect pace, with both Max and Charlie's POVs in play, and Meader shares some pearly words of wisdom as the possibility of a Max and Charlie union hangs in the balance.

Down With Love shares it's name with one of my favorite feel good movies so I knew I HAD to read it. But then anything by Kate Meader is a must read and I can guarantee that it will make you smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down with Love.

July 9, 2018 – Shelved