Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Playing Dirty

Playing Dirty by Amy Andrews

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

I’m just putting it out there I knew NOTHING about rugby when I started reading Amy Andrews’ Sydney Smoke series a few years back and while I still don’t know a ton, I have to say I have enjoyed this series quite a bit, but her latest book in the series, Playing Dirty is my favorite. Maybe it was because the relationship was a bit taboo, maybe it was because the main characters had very different upbringings, maybe it was the empathy they both had for each other’s situations, or maybe it was the red hot lust that turned to so much more in a short amount of time. All I do know is that Playing Dirty had amazing character development, an intriguing and entertaining plot, a whole lot of emotion, and some spectacular sexy scenes, making it my favorite kind of romance.

On the night of her 24th birthday all Valerie King wanted to do was have a few drinks and numb the hurt she feels from the loss of her twin and the growing ache of her father’s distance that never seems to get better. The last thing she expected was to meet a man that set her body aflame and one she by all counts should stay far, far away from, but decides for one night she just wants to forget and maybe throw a big screw you at her dad.

Kyle Leighton can’t believe the red headed “ranga” beauty he stumbles upon on a night he is trying to put the past two weeks behind him adjusting to his new team and the coach who hasn’t made it secret he doesn’t want Kyle on his team. He is attracted to her looks, but soon becomes trapped by her smart mouth, her wit, her knowledge of rugby, and the fact that she wants to share way more than a drink with him.

From the moment these two meet I felt the attraction and connection between them and it was more than sexual. I loved their easy banter and the way they were so at ease with one another which only made their passion burn brighter. That’s not to say they didn’t have some outside forces trying their best to keep them apart, but I think it was very telling that despite what Kyle could lose and what Valerie wanted most of all they simply could not stay away from one another.

I loved the complexity of this story and not all of it having to do with their relationship. I admired Kyle for being there for his family and understanding the importance of it even when they sometimes let him down. His empathy towards Valerie and even her father proved that he was a stand up guy and a good soul. Valerie was so closed off and at times prickly, but she blossomed when Kyle was around and even around his very loud and boisterous family who showed her what family should be like.

From the moment they meet, to the intensity of their relationship, until the last heart-warming scene, Playing Dirty was a delight to read and by far my favorite in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Dirty.

Started Reading